Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tight frenulum and slow weight gain?

Default Tight frenulum and slow weight gain?

My 2 1/2 week old is a few ounces under his birth weight. I met with a lactation consultant today said she noticed he had a tight frenulum which may be the reason I feel some discomfort when he latches and why he's not up to his birth weight.

My LO's pediatrician says not to worry just yet and that if Tuesday she's sees he hasn't gained weight she would consider supplementing.

The lactation consultant suggeted that I pump after each feed and give him that milk in addition to what I'm nursing, but I don't want to deal with oversupply or nipple confusion.

My gut tells me I should go with what my doctor says, but in the back of my head I hear what the lactaion consultant said.

Also has anyone delt with clipping their LO's frenulum?

After meeting with the lactation consultant, the good thing that came out of the meeting was that she showed me how to get a better latch. So hopefully this will make a difference in how quick he gains weight, but on Tuesday I'll have the doctor look at his frenulum.

Thanks in advance for you advice.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Tight frenulum and slow weight gain?

My son was tongue tied and once it was clipped he nursed so much better. Get it clipped as soon as you can. It's easier when they're younger because it is thinner and heals very quickly. Aside from latch problems tongue tie can cause a host of other difficulties including speech problems. And if the frenulum is tight enough it can cause dental and eating problems because of the inability to clear the front teeth with the tongue and lick the lips. Besides you want your son to be able to lick an ice cream cone, stick out his tongue at girls and eventually (when he's 35 of course) kiss them.

A tight/short frenulum can definitely cause a painful latch as well as preventing a baby from effectively "milking" the breast. It might not be the only factor in Colin's lack of weight gain, but if his frenulum is interfering with things, dealing with it will certainly help, and the sooner the better.

This article written for Leaders has good information. This article from last year's New Beginnings (written for LLL members/mothers) discusses how simple the procedure to clip the frenulum is -- often the hardest part is finding a doctor who will agree to do it. Once that is accomplished, it literally takes one snip, maybe a drop of blood, and the baby often goes immediately to the breast with a comfortable and effective latch for the first time.

I'm pretty sure DS had this in the beginning (he would mash my nipple flat so it had a crease in it). I read about the clipping thing, but after already feeling AWFUL for listening to other people about circumcising him, I decided to give it little while and work to get a deeper latch. I watched video's online too. When he started making more noises and moving his tongue more, it cleared up. He gained well from about 1-3 months, but in the beginning he was sloooooooow. Didn't reach his birth weight until he was one month!! He's also leveled off now, and is slow gaining again.

As long as baby is doing good (wet/poopy diapers) and is gaining at all, I wouldn't worry too much. You're doing good mama!!

Oh, and I sent you an email!! You're inbox in LLL is full.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

We chose not to circumsize and it was a tough decision to get his frenulum clipped (especially since the first dr would only do it under general anesthetic), but I am so glad we decided to have it done. I agree w/ pp about getting it done sooner rather than later. If he truely is tongue tied, there's only so much you can do with latch. My son chomped rather than sucking and that was no fun. My oversupply meant he didn't have weight gain issues, but it was definitely a pain issue for me.

breast compressions can help too with weight gain..
    its realy not a big deal to get thier tounge clipped. IF you cann't find a doctor check out dentists. They sometimes will do it.

Thanks for your feedback ladies!
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com