Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: La Leche Meeting what to expect?

Default La Leche Meeting what to expect?

Hi all,
    I am 27 weeks along with my second child. I did not breastfeed my first child who is now 6 yrs old.
    I am much more determined this time to breastfeed. I called the my local LLL leader and the next meeting is next Tues.
    I want to go. Can you tell me what to expect? My DD is homeschooled. So she is home with me. The leader said it would be perfectly acceptible to bring her. She suggested I bring a toy for my DD to help keep her entertained(of course I will choose something quiet).

I have a ton of questions. Should I make a list and maybe there would be time for 'open' discussion where I may squeeze in a question or two?
    DH doesn't understand my strong desire to BF this one. He says DD is perfectly fine and so why bother? However DD has eczema(she gets that from both of us) and she also takes Miralax daily for chronic constipation. I have been wondering... maybe if breastfed..... she wouldn't need it. Of course these are small things in the grand scheme.
    DH also says since I didn't BF my first, when they get older one can say, "I was breastfed and you weren't" like I cared less. I say it can also be looked at like I tried with my first... didn't work out so I didn't bother with you. It just seems a little silly to me.
    I have already told DD that I will be doing things with this baby that I WISH I had done with her. (for example baby feet prints. )

I do have a question I'd like to ask. With DD Daddy would feed her her bottle in the morning so I could sleep in.(I am the sleeper in the family).
    If I pump, can he do this with this one as well? Or not really? I can't go too long without feeding, right? If not, what's the point of pumping?.... I'm sorry I could go on and on with questions......
    Thanks for any help,
    Take care,

Default Re: La Leche Meeting what to expect?

Good for you for wanting to bf! We all do the best we can with the information we have at any given time, and that's probably what you did with your first and what you are doing with your second. I wouldn't right off DH yet, it might just be that he needs some more information. As we have learned more about the benefits of bfing, DH has become more and more supportive. Maybe it's just a matter of a bit more education.

I know all meetings are different, but we have several toddlers at ours right now, so meetings are usually a little on the noisey side with lo's running around. As mine is one of those, I rarely sit down as I supervise him, but that's okay. Questions are very welcome at meetings, so do plan to bring them.

You will figure out the feeding thing when the time comes, but I chose not to go the bottle route. Eventually you will get more sleep. One great thing about nursing is if you are comfortable, you can dose while you nurse. (And, you have all those great hormones going through your body that make you want to fall asleep.)

You'll do great! Going to LLL meetings now will be a huge help. There are 4 meetings in a series, so plan to continue going to them. I've been part of our LLL group for a year, and I still learn something new each time.

Welcome!

I went to my first meeting when I was about 8 months pregnant. Everyone is really nice, and of course it's okay to ask questions! The group I went to was for working moms, so it was at night. They also followed a kind of discussion schedule that rotated every 4 weeks. For example week 1 might be "Breastfeeding Expectations" and then week 2 "Getting Started Breastfeeding", ask you LLL if they do something like that so you'll have some idea what to think about.

I'm new to this whole breastfeeding thing too. My first little guy is 3 months old now, and still nursing strong! About the bottle feeding, of course your DH can help out! Because I went back to work, I tend to want to nurse at nights and weekends, so my DH doesn't really do much bottle feeding. I was told however, not to start a bottle until at least 3 weeks. That gives your LO plenty of time to get adjusted to breastfeeding.

Again, welcome!

I haven't been to a meeting yet, but I sent you a private message.

ETA: To the OP and to Jessie, I sent you both messages. And Jessie, I am freaking out! My name is Jessica too, and I go by Jessie. We both joined the LLL site in Aug 2006, and both live in OKC!!
    Last edited by ChasingPrisms; February 15th, 2007 at 05:45 PM.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

we have some homeschooled kids that come to our meeting.
    Bring her a book to read, if she likes babies she'll have a grand time.
    WE have a talk lead by the leader and then a time for questions and the best part a snack. Most of the time its something healthy.
    You'll learn so much if you go before you have the baby, and make new like minded friends.
    Theres lots of stuff your hubby can do for you besides give the baby a bottle. You'll pick that up at a meeting.
    let us know how it goes...
    and if you run into trouble in between meeting times it's fine to call a leader any time.
    andrea

My son was given a bottle in the NICU a couple of times so I didn't get the chance to hold him off on bottle feedings, but I can say my fiance feeds the baby on the weekends (or days he's home during the week) so that I can sleep in if I have milk pumped and ready for him. It seems to go fine for us if I skip a feeding without waking up to pump, but you've got to see how it feels for you I think.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

I'm so glad you asked about meetings! I always encourage moms to come to meetings before the baby is born. You can really "soak up" a lot of information just by being around nursing moms, and your questions are always welcome. It's also a *lot* easier to call a Leader for help once your baby arrives if you've met her beforehand.

Meetings rotate through four main topics, but there is a wide variation on what is discussed. I always come with a topic and we might discuss it in-depth or only touch on it, depending on the needs of the moms present. For example, if we are discussing "nutrition and weaning", but 90% of the moms attending are pregnant or have new babies, we'll likely talk more about their immediate needs.

Meetings are very casual, safe places to come and ask your questions. Children and babies are always welcome; just bring quiet activities for the non-infants. Don't worry about appearances-- I tell moms of newborns that they are welcome even if they didn't manage to shower that morning.

Also, don't make any snap judgements about meetings. All groups have their own dynamics (that's why it's fun to go to more than one group, if you can). The first meeting or two might feel a bit overwhelming, or you may feel instantly at home. If there is more than one Leader, you may find that you "connect" better with one rather than another. That's OK. Give yourself some time to get to know a few moms and the Leaders. There is a wealth of information and support there.

Don't beat yourself up over not breastfeeding your first child. As a pp said, you did the best you could with the information and support you had at the time. Leaders try very hard to "meet you where you are"-- we don't know what your situation was in the past, and we are not there to force anyone to breastfeed or berate them about their past choices. If your local group has Couples meetings (we have 2 or 3 a year), your dh might gain some insight from those. Otherwise, ask at the meeting and you'll get lots of ideas about how dh can be involved with your new baby even though you do the feeding. Some families use an occasional bottle of expressed milk, some don't. The nice thing about breastfeeding is you can nurse lying down, so sleeping in isn't usually a problem-- just snuggle up to your baby and nurse him/her back to sleep while you snooze. You'll figure out what works best for you when your baby arrives.

I hope you enjoy the LLL meeting!

Dawn

Dear luvmygirls,
    I went to my first LLL meeting when I was 8 months pregnant. I'm glad I did. It helped me to be prepared for the first weeks of motherhood, and when I took my son to a meeting when he was a month old, it was nice to see familiar faces.

At that first meeting, I was shocked to see moms nursing toddlers! I had no idea that anyone would breastfeed that long. Now, here I am nursing an 18 month old son. Time sure flies.

I have LOVED my LLL experience. These women made breastfeeding a pleasure. I'm grateful for their support and friendship.

Good luck!

Erica
    Erica
    Fletcher...August 20, 2005
    Welcoming #2 in July 2008

"There is no failure, only feedback."

Smile Re: La Leche Meeting what to expect?

I've breastfed for a total of 1/2 monyhs and never been to a LLL meeting and sorry-I didn't read the responses but but I just wanted to say--It's you get a LOT more sleep nursing- You can nurse while you lay in bed-I often doze back off to sleep as he eats!

And, I have lots of info on the benefits of nursing if you would like it. Just PM mewith your email. I using it to convince my hubby into leaving me alone about extended nursing.

Thanks for all the replies.
    I am looking forward to the meeting. I received an email from the leader. It answered almost all the questions I asked here. Maybe she read this.
    I appreciate the encourgement.
    Thanks!!!