Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Want to stop formula supplement and do exclusive pumping for 4 week old baby

Default Want to stop formula supplement and do exclusive pumping for 4 week old baby

My son was born at 36 weeks and weighed only 4 lbs 4 oz, he was under observation in NICU for 1 week, just to see if feeding well

Week 2, he was at home and I started breastfeeding him, but he would cry all the time. Apparently he is very sleepy, gets tired, and has weak suck, so our lactation consultant advised us to supplement with formula, and mentioned that pumping will always give less than what baby needs

This is week 4 and since then I have been trying to breastfeed, supplement with expressed breastmilk, and then with formula at every feeding. And then I pump.

The breastfeeding does not work at all, so I would like to just pump and bottle feed, but give no formula. My problem is my supply has remained almost constant over the 2 weeks and I pump only 0.75 - 1.25 oz (without breastfeeding), whereas he takes 2 - 2.5 oz. He feeds around 8 times a day, and I pump around 6 times
    I have both a hospital rental pump and Medela PIS advanced with letdown, and both give same results. I take 1 capsule of fenugreek three times a day, but that does not help

Can you please help me with suggestions of how to increase my supply so I can only feed him with breastmilk alone? I like pumping and think this can be a long term solution, even after I go back to work, but I need to get my supply up. If I give formula in addition and get so less with pumping, I am scared I will get discouraged and might just stop pumping, especially after I go to work
    Last edited by plalwani; February 15th, 2007 at 01:44 PM.

Default Re: Want to stop formula supplement and do exclusive pumping for 4 week old baby

It sounds like you are already doing a lot you need to be doing. My baby is almost 4 months old and I am now pumping exclusively except on weekends. The tricks that have helped me are:
    1. In the first 2 months I fed him or pumped as much as possible (every two hours if I could) this stimulates teh supply and lets your body know the baby needs more milk.
    2. Keep the same feeding/pumping schedule everyday. If you go to long between feedings/pumping, your supply will diminish.
    3. Make sure your are pumping at night too, it really helps even when you are tired
    4. Apply a hot compress for a few minutes to each side when you feed/pump. I have found that a large sock filled with rice works the best. Warm it in the microwave for about 60-75 seconds and it should do the trick.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by meb; February 15th, 2007 at 03:05 PM.

Default Re: Want to stop formula supplement and do exclusive pumping for 4 week old baby

I agree with pp. I had to work really hard yo increase my supply and I EP.
    I got the best results when I took 3 fenugreek capsules 3 times a day. You could also talk to your doctor about a prescription for reglan. HTH!

I had very similar issues at the start. I was prescribed domperidone, and it has worked like a charm. My only issue is that I can't wean off of it. I was started at 8 pills a day, and was told to reduce by 1 pill per week after 6 weeks. I can't go any lower than 5 pills per day or my supply drops right off. I exclusively pump, and have been doing so for 4.5 months.

Thank you. I am trying to pump every two hours now and I have started taking more fenugreek, actually it is a mix of fenugreek, fennel and blessed thistle. I already feel my output has slightly increased, hopefully it will soon be enough for the baby.

Padma

Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Sarah View Post
    I had very similar issues at the start. I was prescribed domperidone, and it has worked like a charm. My only issue is that I can't wean off of it. I was started at 8 pills a day, and was told to reduce by 1 pill per week after 6 weeks. I can't go any lower than 5 pills per day or my supply drops right off. I exclusively pump, and have been doing so for 4.5 months.
    Thanks, should I contact my ped., ob/gyn or physician for the presecription?

Padma