Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need to produce more

Default Need to produce more

Hello all,
    My son is 3 months old, 15 pounds and 27 inches long. He is both nursed and supplemented with formula. I am attempting to work full-time, pump, nurse at home, sleep, and increase my supply. My son has never been full from my milk supply alone. I was at home for his first 6 weeks, nursed on command and he screamed after each feeding until he fell asleep. The doctor said it might be colic or he might just be hungry, he had barely gained back his lost weigth after birth. We began to supplement 2oz of formula after nursing when he was still hungry and he began to gain weight the the screaming stopped altogether. Now I am taking fenugreek and mother's milk tea as well as nursing on command at home and pumping at lunch at work. I still cannot seem to pump more than 2 oz per pumping. I am doing all I can and he is healthy and happy. I would like a few more suggestions to increase my milk supply so my boy gets as much of my milk as possible and less formula. Any suggestions would be great.

Default Re: Need to produce more

It sounds like you are already doing a lot you need to be doing. My baby is almost 4 months old and I am now pumping exclusively except on weekends. The tricks that have helped me are:
    1. In the first 2 months I fed him or pumped as much as possible (every two hours if I could) this stimulates the supply and lets your body know the baby needs more milk.
    2. Keep the same feeding/pumping schedule everyday. If you go to long between feedings/pumping, your supply will diminish.
    3. Make sure your are pumping at night too, it really helps even when you are tired
    4. Apply a hot compress for a few minutes to each side when you feed/pump. I have found that a large sock filled with rice works the best. Warm it in the microwave for about 60-75 seconds and it should do the trick.

When you are at home with your baby in the evenings pump for ten minutes on each side, after you nurse. The best most effiecent way to produce more milk is to let the breast know there is more demand. You might also consider wearing your baby in a sling, and more skin to skin contact- this helps to produce prolactin.

MEB: the rice with the sock is to produce more milk for the pumping?
    Eliz