Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I break a bad habit?

Default How do I break a bad habit?

My LO is 2 months old and in a few weeks I return to work. My mom will be taking care of baby...and I'm totally nervous about it. I've kinda started a bad habit of carrying baby in the bjorn for naps (it's not ideal, but I can't seem to break it). If I try to take her out she wakes right up. Anyhow, I don't think my mom will be as willing to do the same. She doesn't think naps are necessary...she thinks if baby is tired she'll sleep, if not then we'll just play...which makes sense.

So, I know I have to break this habit sooner or later...can't carry baby forever. I also want her to be able to fall asleep on her own. Anyone have the same problem? And have you figured out a way to transition your LO to sleep on their own?

Default Re: How do I break a bad habit?

I wouldn't worry about baby breaking the habit. Your mom will have ways of getting your LO to sleep.

Lisa

Have you tried swaddling? Swaddling initially did not work for me and I hated the idea. I decided to give it another go. Lately, it seems to work for naps and evenings. When I detect fussiness, I feed him. Then walk, rock, and sing to him (also exposed to a little white noise action from our bathroom fan) . When he drifts off to sleep, I swaddle him (I don't swaddle him at the outset because he is too alert and active, fights it vigorously). Once I swaddle him, this wakes him up a bit, so off we go (with him swaddled) to more rocking, walking, etc. When he drifts to sleep, I lay him down. He may wake up again or sleep a few minutes, in which case I just pick up my swaddled baby and rock him to sleep again. Often after a few runs, he sleeps for a decent stretch. The last several nights, I persist with the swaddling and he slept for several 2 hour stretches in his crib. He hates his crib and has never slept in it for any amount of time until the swaddling.

I agree...your Mom will find a way to get baby to sleep, and you'll soon find that our children always behave differently and some will say better for other people!!
    I see no reason for you to break the habit yourself, but if you really want to, you could try doing it in stages. First remove the bjorn and just carry her in your arms...then try holding her but rocking in a chair instead of walking...then transition to holding her but not rocking, etc etc...you'll find there are lots of ways to get a baby to sleep...especially if she's tired enough

Hi sweetmadeline! I've always had difficulty getting my daughter (Now 11 months) to nap. She always wanted to nap on me- if not in the BabyBjorn, then on the breast. Recently I've discovered a trick that may work for you- using a stroller. I bundle my daughter up, pop her in the stroller and wheel her back and forth very gently and quietly. After about 5 minutes, she's asleep and I can stop. I used to take her outside to get this effect, but it's been so cold that I've been doing it inside. It still works! HTH!

I worried about this with my lo, too, when he started daycare. He only napped for me in his swing, never in his bassinet or crib (I'd lay him down, seemingly sound asleep for 10-15 mins, and his eyes would pop open within minutes).

He sleeps just fine in both a bassinet and crib at his daycare. He sleeps a little less there than I liked him to when he was home with me, but he will often make up this time overnight.