Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Time between feedings?

Default Time between feedings?

Does anyone have any idea of when babies start to extend the time between feedings? Right now my son is every 3 hours(he's only 5 weeks).

Default Re: Time between feedings?

It's different with every baby, so hard to predict with yours. Most babies start to have a longer stretch at night by the age of 2-3 months -- but that longer stretch still may be only 4 or 5 hours. Don't expect a young exclusively breastfed baby to sleep through the night for a long time. During the day, they continue to eat frequently.

How are you holding up with this pattern? A lot of new moms find the initial adrenaline has worn off after the first few weeks, and major exhaustion can set in. How are you coping?

--Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by tke2
    Does anyone have any idea of when babies start to extend the time between feedings? Right now my son is every 3 hours(he's only 5 weeks).
    At 5 weeks my daughter was still nursing every 2 hours and occasionally every hour. She is 4 months old now and nurses every 3 hours. She may go 4 or 5 at night, or she may not, it depends on the night and if she needs the extra calories. But like quakermoma said, all babies are different and you should nurse on demand. Their patterns change so much in these early months that you will see many changes off and on so don't get to used to anything. That's what I'm learning anyway! Hang in there!!
    Tracy

I'm doing well. I have the occasional bad day where it seems that you can't get anything done and all you do is feed, feed, feed, but then I have a great day after that. It really helps that my husband is very attentive toward my needs and takes a major part in helping me with our 2 year DD. Family is very supportive too, so I can always ask my mom or MIL to help me out. Thank you for asking.
    Last edited by tke2; March 22nd, 2006 at 12:28 AM.

At 5 weeks I was lucky to have an hour between feeds even at night. You are lucky if you have 3 hours. My son is refusing to nurse now and he is only 9 months old. At 6 months he went every 3-4 hours and I thought that was great! You should probably encourage more frequent feedings so your supply doesn't drop. Things change quickly although at the time it seems time is standing still. Hang in there.

i agree with pp, you should count your blessings but make sure youre feeding enough, that sounds like a ff schedule! my ds ate every hr or maybe two! even at 4 1/2 mos, he still sometimes eats every hour, although he can handle a longer stretch now. good luck!