Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: is it ok for baby to have breast milk if I am sick?

Default is it ok for baby to have breast milk if I am sick?

I woke up this morning with a terrible sore throat and achey all over. I went to dr. and I have some sort of infection in my throat, fever, and possibly the flu. Dr. gave me antibiotics which she said were safe to take while breast feeding, but didn't give me a solid answer on whether my illness can be passed on to baby through my milk, so just to be safe my husband and I have been giving him formula and I'm pumping and dumping. But I really hate to do that, any ideas anyone?

Default Re: is it ok for baby to have breast milk if I am sick?

Quote Originally Posted by ssvacek01 View Post
    I woke up this morning with a terrible sore throat and achey all over. I went to dr. and I have some sort of infection in my throat, fever, and possibly the flu. Dr. gave me antibiotics which she said were safe to take while breast feeding, but didn't give me a solid answer on whether my illness can be passed on to baby through my milk, so just to be safe my husband and I have been giving him formula and I'm pumping and dumping. But I really hate to do that, any ideas anyone?

Yes mama - you can continue nursing while you're sick -actually it;s the best thing you can do to help protect baby!

heres a link with additional info
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-illness.html

feel better soon...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I nursed DD the whole time I had flu 2 weeks after she was born, not only did she not get sick, her pedi told me the nursein gyour LO while you are sick helps build their imune system for the future
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Its my understanding that you pass antibodies to your cold/flu through your milk to you baby. No more dumping!

Your baby very well get your infection. BUT that may happen regardless. What you are passing to LO in your milk is all the antibodies you have developed while fighting the illness. Your nursing relationship is way to young. Your supply is not well enough established to not have the baby at the breast as often as possible. This will almost certainly affect your supply negatively. Please please get your baby back to your breast ASAP.

Way too lazy for formula