Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constantly Hungry

Default Constantly Hungry

At birth our daughter weighed 6 lbs 15.5 ounces and when we left the hospital she weighed 6 lbs 13 ounces. When we went to our first doctor's appt at day 10 she had not gained any weight since she had left the hospital and in fact lost weight. She weighed 6 lbs 10 ounces. Needless to say, visions of a starving baby entered my mind and I felt terrible... She is now two weeks old and I spoke to the lactation consultant at the hospital and she said not to time feedings and to allow her to eat as often as necessary for as long as necessary.
    It appears she is constantly hungry. She will feed for about an hour, and then she will be hungry a half hour later. She has at least three poopy diapers a day and at least 6 wet ones too...I feel like during the day I am constantly nursing her... During the night she will sleep three to four hours before waking up to be nursed. At first I was worried I had a low milk supply because she was nursing for such long periods of time and wasn't satisfied for very long but now I just think I wasn't feeding her as often as she needed? I am still overwhelmed.

My fear is that when we go to weigh her on Monday she will still be losing weight despite the fact that I am nursing her all the time during the day... Has anyone else experienced this?

Wink Re: Constantly Hungry

My DD weighed 6lbs, 12ozs when she was born, 6lbs, 8ozs when we went home from the hospital. Then when we came home she wasn't nursing very often. She would sleep about 3-4 hours at a time during the day, a little less at night. When we went in for her 2 week check up she weighed 6 lbs, 10 ozs, and the doctor was a little concerned. He told us (the lactation consultant did too) to let her nurse whenever she wants. Whether it is every hour, half hour, five hours, etc. I found that my LO would nurse about every hour for three feedings, and then go without for about 3-4 hours. Well, we went back a week later and she weighed 7 lbs, 13 ozs! So, I guess the "nursing on demand" worked. Since then we haven't had any problems, she's gaining weight and no problems eating.

Default Re: Constantly Hungry

We all go through this! It's perfectly normal for a baby to lose 10% of its body weight after birth before beginning to gain. also, nursing non-stop (since that's how it feels to all of us) is your LO's instinctual way of helping your body to establish a healthy milk supply. The more LO nurses, the more it triggers your body to produce milk, thereby ensuring your LO's future food source. Just keep following that advice. You're doing a great job mama! It gets better!