Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Addicted to my pump?

Default Addicted to my pump?

I am EPing for my DS who is 6 mo. I just started feeding him solids. Right now I pump every 3 hours during the day and every 4 hours at night. DH says I should try and start pumping every 3.5 hours and work my way up to every 4 hours. I feel addicted to my pump. The thought of going over 3 hours without pumping drives me crazy! I would love to go longer between pumpings. It would be so much easier to get stuff done! I started with a low supply and worked endlessly to bring it up. My DS has been exclusively fed EBM for 4 months. I'm scared if I pump every 4 hours I will lose my supply! Any suggestions to help go longer between pumpings?

Default Re: Addicted to my pump?

I think that as EP'ers, it's hard to think about going longer in between pumping sessions because we're so worried about supply. FWIW, I pumped every three hours up until DD was about 10 months old. Then, I pumped every 3.5 hours until she was a year. I'm just recently going every four hours now because I'm prego and I just can't stand to pump half the time. At about 10 months, I also started going eight hours at night though it took a lot of gradual building up to that point. Just do what your comfortable with. You could always try a few days of going longer in between sessions and see what happens. If supply starts to dip, you can just go back to your old routine...
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

My DS will be 4 months on the 22nd. I do a 7 hr stretch at night, and now pump every 3.5-4. Still have 40-50 ounces per day. How much do you yield? I used to pump every 2 hrs and 3 at night, but I was sooo tired of it. Feels like life revolves around the pump.

I pump between 32-40oz per day. DS eats about 32-35oz per day and just started solids. I also have a huge freezer stash (about 200 oz) so I may try going every 3.5 hours.

You women amaze me! I am breast feeding and I can only pump 1-2 oz from one side while feeding DS on the other. I can't imaging pumping so religiously around the clock. Also a stash of 200 oz! I barely have 10 oz frozen and going back to work soon.

I have returned to work (I'm on week 3 back to work) and our little one is 4.5 months old. I have recently reduced pumping to 3 times during the week and sometimes 4 times on the weekend. During the week I pump when I get up, around 1:30pm, and before bed). I pump enough milk for the next day, plus I am able to freeze just over 2 bottles worth of milk. I have enough milk in the freezer for approx. 150 bottles.

While I really don't mind pumping, I do appreciate the feeling of starting to get my life back to normal. I hated not being able to go far because I felt i had to pump.