Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping with Thrush?

Default Pumping with Thrush?

This was the week I was going to start pumping to up my supply and get ready to go back to work, so of course this is the week we get thrush! I am treating baby and me with diluted grapefruit seed extract for now. If that doesn't work I'll move on to gentian violet (if I can find it) and then to nystatin if need be.

I read somewhere that expressed milk from this time could reinfect us and not to use it. Is that true? As I type this I'm thinking that I should still start pumping just to get the hang of it and start to up my supply. I can't stand the thought of all that pumping work going down the drain (literally!).

Jennifer

Default Re: Pumping with Thrush?

Hi Jennifer,

These links may help you decide what to do.

Is thrush causing my sore nipples?
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/thrush.html
    It says, "The milk you pump during a thrush outbreak can be fed to your baby but not frozen. Freezing breastmilk does not kill the yeast in it."

This one's not an LLL-approved site, but it has information cited from several sources.
    I have thrush. Can I give baby my expressed milk?
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...ssed-milk.html

How much time do you have before you return to work? Do you feel your supply is low or are you trying to "get ahead" for returning to work?

Mary

I'm sorry you're dealing with thrush just as you were going to start pumping. How frustrating! As Mary's link points out, while you can feed freshly pumped milk to a baby during a thrush outbreak, that milk shouldn't be stored for long-term use. Alternatively, some moms have pumped and just labeled their milk very carefully during thrush. Maybe the milk can be used down the road during another thrush outbreak, though of course hopefully you're not going to have to deal with this more than once!

You don't mention when you're going back to work, but just some more food for thought...thrush can make both mom and baby awfully sore, leading to tired, cranky, and otherwise just icky feelings. It may be best to wait a few days to ensure you have the thrush under control before you start trying something new. Additionally, you would have extra steps to take with the pump parts, etc. to make sure to minimize the thrush. When not dealing with thrush, for example, many moms find they can just refrigerate their entire pump assembly (horns+bottles) between pumping sessions. This would not be advisable during thrush.

Have you been able to find Gentian Violet yet? It is considered one of the best thrush treatments these days. Quick tip - line the outside of baby's lips with lansinoh or vaseline or other type of salve so that the purple doesn't get too far outside his/her mouth. Remember to treat both of you, and wear dark clothes during treatment, GV stains everything!

Best of luck to you
    Karen Smith
    LLL Leader, IL

Thanks for the help! I've got a couple weeks left at home. April 10th is my first day back to work.

I haven't found gentain violet yet so I'm just using the grapefruit seed extract and I think it's working - I'll give this a couple more days and see how it goes. I'm going to keep treating us for some time after I think the thrush is gone.

I think I'll start pumping later this week just to get the feel for it. I'll be extra careful cleaning my pump in between sessions!

Jennifer