Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much do you pump?

Default How much do you pump?

I was just curious, how much milk do you normally pump? I just started back to work last week and my schedule goes pretty much as follows:
    5:30 am - nurse baby
    7:15 am - pump, then go to work (4 - 6 oz)
    10:00 am - pump at work (4 - 6 oz)
    2:00 pm - pump at work (4 - 6 oz)
    5:00 pm - nurse baby or pump (depending on if he's awake when I get home)
    7:30 pm - nurse baby (although some nights he doesn't ask for this one)
    8:30 pm - cereal bottle (mixed with bm)
    10:30 pm - pump before bed (4 - 6 oz)

Is this enough to keep my supply up? I haven't had to dip into my freezer stockpile, so I seem to be leaving enough with the sitter while I'm at work. I just don't know if I should be trying to squeeze in another pumping session somewhere. My DS is 9 weeks old and eating about every 3 - 4 hours, usually 4 - 6 oz at a time.

Default Re: How much do you pump?

Your schedule looks pretty good to me (I almost exclusively pump, with a daily BFing session), but is your baby sleeping through the night already? 7 total pump and nurse sessions in 24 hours is close to ideal, but if your LO is waking during the night maybe you could add a session there? Sometimes I'll skip a session during the night and when I wake up my boobies hate me for it.

I was also curious why you've started on cereal already if baby is only 9 weeks? Was this at the suggestion of your pedi?

He usually goes to sleep around 10 - 10:30 pm and then is out until 4:30 - 5:00 am. I got pretty lucky there. He's been such an easy going baby!

I started the rice cereal b/c he was spitting up so much and the pedi wanted to put him on liquid Zantac at 3 weeks. I just wasn't comfortable with that, so I asked if there was something else I could try and he suggested mixing 4 tblsp of rice cereal with 4 oz of bm to see if that helped. The pedi said that with formula fed babies, they suggest a thickened formula, so he thought that may work for me. He still spits up the rest of the day, but he doesn't after that bottle. Go figure. I think they may be what helps him sleep that long stretch at night.

I'm jealous of your good sleeper! I'm curious, did the cereal help w/ the spitup issue? My LO spits up BAD and I'd love to get him off Zantac.

Sorry to derail... but as for your original question, 7 sessions a day is what I so when I'm not trying to increase supply, so as long as you're not dipping into your stash to keep up with baby's eating habits, it sounds fine to me!

6oz seems like a lot for a 9 week old??
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingPrisms View Post
    6oz seems like a lot for a 9 week old??
    i feel the same... that seems like alot for such a lo

I just realized you'd already answered my question before I asked it. Nevermind me, my reading comprehension sucks even worse than my typing when I'm NAK.

I'm pumping 4 - 6 oz at those intervals, he doesn't necessarily eat that much. It's hard to tell how much he's eating when I'm nursing, but during the day when he takes a bottle from my mom, he usually eats about 4 - 5 oz every 3 - 4 hours. Is that a lot? When I was home, I would just nurse on demand. Now that I'm back to work, I still have my mom feed him when he's hungry and let him eat what he wants. He weighed 7.3 at birth and was up to 11.8 at his 2 month appointment. Am I feeding him too much? The pedi said his weight was on track.

As for the cereal helping with the spitting up, honestly I don't know. I think its getting better as he gets older just b/c his system is maturing. The cereal isn't hurting him, so I continue it at night as part of our bedtime routine. Plus he doesn't spit up everything before he goes to sleep for the night.

4:30 am - nurse baby
    6:30am - nurse baby, pump aftwards (3-5oz)
    9 am - nurse baby
    11:30 am - pump at work (4 - 6 oz)
    4:30 pm - nurse and pump at work (4 - 6 oz)
    5:30 pm - nurse baby (not a full nursing just enough to make it through the drive home)
    7 - 9 pm - nurse baby as much as she wants
    10:30 pm - pump before bed (3-4 oz)
    12 Midnight - nurse baby
    3am nurse baby

I wish I had your sleeping schedule!!!!

I recently tried cereal in BM 3 times (at 4.5 months) and each time my LO has a very bad stomach with gas. After about 3 hours of sleeping she woke in pain from gas. Once she farted enough (tummy massage and bouncing) she would sleep again but it was not worth the 1.5 hours of stress and screaming in the middle of he night because I never made it back to bed!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I pump every four hours (6x a day) and I pump anywhere between 6-8 ozs per session. so approximately 36 - 48 ozs per day.