Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New to pumping and it Hurts!

Question New to pumping and it Hurts!

Hi I am new to pumping, but have been EBF for 10 wks now! I am so excited about making it this far, but unfortunately have to return to work in 2 wks

I purchased the Ameda Purely Yours Electric Pump and I have just started using it the past few days and it hurts! I was hoping to get a small supply so I can make sure my dd will take the bottle and be able to have some for her to start off with at daycare. I also want to pump once I return to work in 2 wks, but it just seems to hurt me!!

Any ideas or tips I can try to make it not hurt? I start with the cycle all the way turned up and the suction very low, if I move the suction even a little bit it starts to hurt really bad and I can see marks on my nipple when I remove it.

Thanks for any suggestions, pumping may be short lived if it keeps hurting so bad and I don't want that at all!!

Default Re: New to pumping and it Hurts!

I like my Advent Isis. Perhaps you need to check another one out, its totally NOT supposed to hurt!!! Plus if it hurts you, wouldn't want to harm your nipple!

I always "lube" up the areole with lanolin before getting ready to pump, that way they don't dry/crack/bleed.
    Hope that helps!
    Anne

Karen J is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

The breast shield on your pump could be too small. Have a look next time you pump. If your nipple looks too tightly crammed in there, that could be causing the pain. I talked to my LC about pain when pumping and tried a larger sized shield, it made a huge differance.

try adjusting the cycle and the suction, it takes a little bit to find your perfect setting, I have been using my PY for so long and love it was more than any other pump I have used (I have tried 5 others). For me I found that putting the cycle 1/2 way and starting with lower suction, then increasing suction to 1/2 when I felt the beginning of the letdown tingle, then all the way up when letdown was in full force was the most effective and comfortable way for me to pump

And I totally 2nd putting on some lansolin before you start.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)