Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: infection...what worked for you?

Question infection...what worked for you?

My daughter is 4 weeks old and I am pumping every 2-3 hours. I went through the infection thing 3 weeks ago. It started back up on the right side. Dr. prescribed medicine again. I feel guilty for taking medicine, but it hurts soooo bad. For those of you who have had breast infections...what worked????

Default Re: infection...what worked for you?

I think it's important to treat the infection as your doc recommends. The antibiotics never had a negative effect on my LOs, but you should take precautions to avoid thrush (see below).
    My suggestions:
    (1) take the full course of meds, even if you feel better
    (2) take a high-quality probiotic supplement (like acidophilus) while you are on the antibiotics (antibiotics make us more likely to get yeast infections including a nasty, incredibly painful breast yeast infection called thrush)
    (3) get plenty of rests, fluids, and nurse often on the affected side
    (4) if you have a plugged milk duct, apply a wet warm towel before nursing or pumping, or hand express in the shower or bath while massaging the plug down toward your nipple
    (5) to prevent recurrent plugged ducts and resultant infections, start taking a lecithin supplement daily in capsule or granule form (I recently started this and it has helped tremendously)
    HTH!! and that you are feeling better soon.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Smile Re: infection...what worked for you?

thanks so much for all that info...I will look for the supplements you mentioned...not sure where to find them, but I will try my hardest to find them!! Guys just don't understand what women go through when we have babies!!!

If you have a "natural" or co-op pharmacy or grocery store anywhere near you, that would be a great place to start. The next best option would be the regular pharmacy. I know the Walgreens in this area has acidophilus but not the refrigerated kind (which is better because it has more live cultures)-FYI acidophilus and other probiotics are naturally found in yogurt, but you would have to eat a lot to get a therapeutic amount, I believe.
    good luck!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Yeast infection or mastitis?

I went through two bouts of mastitis within the first 4 weeks after LO was born. The second round came about a week after I finished the antibiotics for the first. I haven't had any since (even though I had oversupply problems, and did a lot of block nursing to help tame that - which can lead to clogged ducts and mastitis, I think). The second time around, the doctor had me take the meds for a longer period of time. In addition, I talked to my local LLL leader , and she suggested that I simply wasn't taking good enough care of myself - be sure to get enough water (64+ oz/day), eat (I wasn't hungry, for some reason) and try to rest (I couldn't sleep during the day, even when LO was, but she said to at least lay down during those times and read or watch movies with the subtitles on).

My LO is just 3 months now, so I clearly remember those early days - I was soooooo miserable. It does get better, though!

http://www.drjacknewman.com/index.ph...d=39&Itemid=69

do you have cracks and bleeding? SOmetimes that takes a while to heal..
    cracks are a sign of bad lactch and with just some tweaking most mothers go on to breastfeed pain free..

CAll your local leader she can help!

As far as I know it is a breast infection. From what I explained to the doc over the phone, that is what they said. A week after she was born, I had the same type of thing. So, for me, this is round two in her first month. It's getting VERY frustrating and makes me not want to continue. I picked up two probiotics from a health store, but they recommended to wait until after antibiotics were finished. I definitely have a lack of sleep...can't sleep during the day, have little appetite, but I drink plenty of water. I go through so many bottles each day. I will have to try to eat more and rest more. My nipples were cracked and bleeding when she was latching on, but now I am only pumping because of the bad pain I was having. Thanks for more info. You are all wonderful!!