Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!! Can anyone help me???

Question HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!! Can anyone help me???

I have been on Fenugreek now for almost 1 week after almost completely losing my milk supply and having to use formula and now I'm producing a little more milk, but my LO WILL NOT BF anymore. He gets frustrated that there's not much there and refuses to feed. He only wants a bottle now. I've been using an electric breast pump, but I'm not getting very much out and everyone keeps telling me to let my LO do it and not the pump as much as possible, but he just won't do it now. I don't know what to do now and I'm just about ready to just call it quits on this baby and try better the next go around. I know breast milk is the best our babies can get, but I feel like I've tried everything and I'm barely producing enough to even say that I breast feed. If there is anything else I can do, please, someone, let me know.

Default Re: HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!! Can anyone help me???

Quote Originally Posted by ixoyedd View Post
    If there is anything else I can do, please, someone, let me know.
    Of course there is. It may take some patience and understanding on your part. The fact that you are pumping is great! How often are you pumping? Are you looking at your baby or a picture when you do? I'm just checking to see what you are doing to stimulate a let down.
    have you tried massage? Do you carry your baby in a sling (somehow women have said this helps to bring on your milk)? Do you do any skin to skin contact? I would suggest that you choose a time when your baby isn't starving hungry, but still might have room for a snack and take a nice long bath together. Being all warm and wet can trigger a baby to start rooting around for a nipple. You would be in a good position to squeeze out a few drops of milk to interest bab y even more and pop it in! If you have a relaxed environment with little, or no stress on you or your baby, you might have more success. Don't be hard on yourself, or pressure yourself to perform some sort of miracle. Unlearning behavior can take a second. The more time you spend naked with your baby the better. they love skin contact!

I pumped every few hours for about a week and only noticed a slight increase in milk. Now, all of my pumpings for the day combined only equal about 1.5 oz of milk. I guess I don't understand the whole skin to skin thing. I've heard about getting naked and laying with your baby, but I've never tried it for fear of crossing some lines, etc. I just thought milk supply was based on supply and demand and don't really know much about "letdowns." I guess I actually don't even understand that term at all. So, to get these "letdowns" there has to be stimulation? Please help me to understand better.

Don't worry about "crossing lines". Babies need that skin-to-skin connection with both of their parents. If you are feeling apprehensive about that, put on shorts before you hop in the tub...the skin-to-skin you are wanting to do is his bare skin against your bare chest.

But, also, what you get in the pump is in no way indicative of what baby can get out. Babies are much more efficient extractors than pumps are.

Skin-to-skin does work great...I used it daily with my DS who was a lazy nurser at first. Now, when he hears the bath water running, he gets all excited...although he's not so much nursing as he is splashing his legs in the water...but he really does love the bath.

I was supplementing my daughter up until she was 6 weeks when I noticed she started nursing funny. And a Lactation Consultantant told me that she was preferring the bottle b/c the milk came out faster. So she told me to go on what some on this site call a "nursing holiday" where I only put her to the breast when she cried and NO bottles or pacifies for 3 days. It really did work because now I can't get her to take a bottle at all. Although even at 6 weeks she was latching on she would just pull off and on frequently. Sounds like you might be struggling a little more than that. But I just wanted to share what worked for me. I think you'll succeed if you're determined enough.

You have it correct about milk supply correlating with regular old supply and demand. When I'm talking about stimulation i am merely discussing the exterior props you might use. You may have read about the sound of another woman's child crying causing a lactating woman to "let down her milk"? What i am thinking is, what might help you to express your milk? A picture of your baby, a recording of hunger cries, Do you use that sort of thing? here is information on what a let down is:
    http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/pa/pa_syntocin_hhg.htm

Skin-to-skin contact stimulates prolactin, your milk making hormone. It also reminds baby to nurse. Babies are designed to need this kind of contact. As long as you are not behaving inappropriately toward your baby, there is no reason not to hold baby skin-to-skin. You don't need to be bear naked to do it, either. An open shirt without a bra and a baby in just a diaper will do just fine. You might try carrying baby in a sling this way. The motion and the closeness, accompanied by the readily available breast might just do the trick.

It sounds like you've received a lot of good suggestions! I would add one more idea to think about. Many moms find that bringing baby to bed with them can encourage a reluctant nurser and also work wonders on their milk supply. Some babies are more willing to breastfeed when they are very sleepy or almost asleep. Even if baby doesn't nurse at all, simply sleeping with baby's mouth touching breast can really boost your prolactin level. Your body makes more prolactin at night. Does that sound like something you might be willing to try?

Hang in there! You really are doing a great job, mama!

(((HUGS))),

Tiana

Yes, I think I will try these things. I want to continue to BF if at all possible and I am willing to do what it takes. Do these things work even better than Fenugreek?

I pumped every few hours for about a week and only noticed a slight increase in milk. Now, all of my pumpings for the day combined only equal about 1.5 oz of milk. I guess I don't understand the whole skin to skin thing. I've heard about getting naked and laying with your baby, but I've never tried it for fear of crossing some lines, etc. I just thought milk supply was based on supply and demand and don't really know much about "letdowns." I guess I actually don't even understand that term at all. So, to get these "letdowns" there has to be stimulation? Please help me to understand better.
    When you say that you don't know much about letdowns, do you mean that you're not sure that you have them when you're pumping? or when you're breastfeeding directly(when baby does agree too)? Or aren't sure about them at all in general?

I've found that "letdowns" were much easier to get when my LO nursed directly. There was something about the pump that just didn't create the ideal situation. One of the previous posters had a link, so I hope that answered your questions about them.

I wanted to add, that when I worked(until my oldest turned 4.5 mos), I would often pump with a picture of my baby taped to my breastpump bag...I would often get a letdown far easier that way. Sometimes I'd have more than one pic even...lots of pics of my little baby. I also found that I had to go to the bathroom first too. I know it sounds kind of weird, but if I was distracted by needing to go, it was also hard to get a letdown. The times I was at home and was trying to pump extra for work, I found it hard to get letdowns if my baby was needing me and I was unavailable becuase I was attached to the pump. I think it was stress that was making it more difficult for me.

I'm sorry I don't have alot of other advice regarding helping you increase your milk supply...I wish I did, but I am going to be praying for you. I'm sure this is really stressful, and I know God can work things out for you.

I totally suggest skin-to-skin contact and keeping your baby next to you constantly. I suggest you take baths with your LO, co-sleep, wear your baby during the day. These are so great.

ALso have you tried eating oatmeal? That can help for some people.