Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: supplementing w/ formula question...

Default supplementing w/ formula question...

For those of you who have to supplement with formula...

Do you add the formula to the BM or do you end up giving your LO a full bottle of formula? I'm just wondering because I may have to supplement due to not getting enough to cover what he eats at daycare. He's getting 3 5oz bottles at daycare, and I'm pumping 12 oz at work. Eventually I may have to supplement. If I make 3 4oz bottles of BM, is it ok for me to mix 1 oz of formula per bottle? Or, should I feed him 2 full bottles of EBM, and 1 bottle with 2oz of BM mixed with 3oz of formula? Sorry for the math equation, just want to do what is best. I may not have to do this, but just wondering just in case.

Default Re: supplementing w/ formula question...

I'm running into the same problem. I divide up what I can pump into bottles, each w/3-4 oz and then I make up another bottle or two with just formula. I send 4 bottles w/3-4 oz ea.

I'm curious how long your lo is at daycare? It seems like you are pumping enough if he's there for 10 hours or less...I've heard some daycare providers push the bottles when los get fussy; just want to make sure this isn't the actual source of the supply issue. I usually only pump about 8-9 oz so that's why I need to send formula.

Additional comment: My lo will eat pretty much what I send. I started out sending 14-16 oz and he ate it all (but seemed to eat less at night). Now I send as little as 12 oz for 10 hrs and he's fine. Just in case, I've left my daycare provider with a clean "emergency bottle" and some powder formula so he won't go hungry. It gives me peace of mind while allowing me to send a higher percentage off ebm for his day's food.
    Last edited by annbella; February 13th, 2007 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Added comment

When we supplement with formula we usually just give our son a bottle of formula.

On another note, I used to work in the nursery of a daycare and the few breastfeeding mothers we had usually just sent us whatever milk they had expressed and when/if we ran out asked us to make regular formula bottles. I'm not sure what their reasoning was, thats just how they usually went about doing it.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Straight from my pedi's mouth - You can mix both the formula and BM together. I've been doing that for a few months with no problems at all. He said that is what his wife did with each of their kiddos.

My lo eats all the ebm then when he runs out my mom gives him a bottle of formula. I have heard of mixing it just never tried.

The only reason I've ever heard of for not mixing is in case your lo doesn't finish the whole bottle -- then you need to throw out the rest of the bottle and you've had to "waste" your ebm.