Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby food & EBM

Default Baby food & EBM

Can you mix babyfood with EBM to make it easier for LO to eat? Ms DS is almost 6 months old. He is ready to eat solids but is having a hard time the with the thickness. Can I mix a little EBM to make it a little easier for him to eat?

Default Re: Baby food & EBM

thats fine... if he still has tounge thrust reflex maybe hes not ready for solid foods..
    does he push food out with his tounge?

yes, you could. Luckily you can put bm into just about anything to make it easier on your lo. However, I'm curious as to why you're starting solids if your lo seems to have a hard time with them? I know for me and my dh we did because we felt alot of pressure from our parents and friends that it was "necessary". After two weeks of solids when our ds was 5 1/2 mo, he was so constipated and so obviously not doing well with them that we said forget it...and went back to exclusive bf. We did this until ds was 10mo!!! At that point we were putting him in a highchair and putting scraps of food on his tray at every meal. We decided that when he was ready he would pick it up and put it in his mouth, chew and swallow. Sure enough one day he did and he hasn't stopped since!! He loves it all!

There's alot of research (AAP and WHO) that shows that solids aren't even necessary or beneficial to health anyways until the child is at least 12mo (some say 15mo) It's purely for experimentation and learning. In fact, the reason many babies have a hard time when started so early is that their tongue has a natural reflex that pushes anything that isn't liquid straight out, this is a reflex given to protect them from things that could choke them or that their tummies aren't ready to digest. Hope that helps, ulitmately you know what your baby needs, just wanted to offer another route to the baby food route!

Can you mix babyfood with EBM to make it easier for LO to eat? Ms DS is almost 6 months old. He is ready to eat solids but is having a hard time the with the thickness. Can I mix a little EBM to make it a little easier for him to eat?
    I agree with the pp. You can definitely mix a little EBM in the food to make it a smoother consistency.

I also have the same question though...are you SURE your LO is ready to start solids? If you're feeding stage 1 jarred babyfood, then maybe he isn't ready, as that is very smooth to begin with.

If you're feeding homemade food, then it makes sense that some things might go down better with a liquid added to make a better consistency, as long as your LO is attempting to chew and is swallowing well, and not thrusting the food out with his tongue yet.

i agree. of course you can put bm in it - but if he can't handle the baby food, I'd venture to say he's not ready. JMO
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.