Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting solids...

Default Starting solids...

I`m a little discouraged about ds weight gain. He is 5.5 mo and 15.6 lbs. He was gaining over 2 lbs for the first 3 mo then it suddenly dropped to half of that and stayed there. He is currently gaining a little under 1 lb/ mo. I`m ready to start solids. I know that breast milk is way more nutricious than solids, but he just does not seem interested in nursing these days.

What are some nutrcious first foods you suggest?  He is interested I can tell and will probably be happy to try some foods already. His tummy is a little on the weak side side so I would rather delay on foods that can cause constipation.

TIA

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

Default Re: Starting solids...

1st of all, it's totally normal for children this age to slow WAY down on how much they gain. They slow down as they become more active. And that in turn causes them to become distracted. However, at this age your child can be trusted to self regulate. SO trust him to eat when hungry even if that slows all the way down to 4-6x in a 24hr period. You are so close to the 6month point I would just take the next two weeks to really just do the research, read through the literature (outside on the site) read through some threads...there is SO much to decide around the introduction of solids. Are you going to do purees or Child led? Rice cereal or just plain rice? How do you keep things exciting and not get constipated. The most important thing to remember is that solids at this point are just for fun and exploration. They are NOT going to cause your child to gain weight or sleep through the night.
    Take your time. There's no pressure and your child is doing fine. Everything your experiencing is normal for this age and there is nothing for you to worry about.

Way too lazy for formula

I agree that the slow down in weight gain is totally normal. And, since he gained SO fast (2 pounds per month would be on the high end of normal weight gain) his slow down may be more dramatic than others' might be. Also, just so you don't get even more discouraged, it is normal for weight gain to slow even more between 6 and 12 months (average during this time is only 2-4 ounces per week).

As for the solids, your LO is almost to 6 months--so it's probably ok to start them sometime soon of he seems ready. Avocado would be a great first food--packed with vitamins and LOTS of good fat. It also has a nice creamy, buttery taste and texture. I think avocados would be less likely to cause constipation than bananas. You could give him some chunks to pick up, or mash with a fork, or even puree and mix with EBM.

Foreverhomeless,

Just wanted to let you know that my LO was only 15.2 at SIX months... he gained about two pounds month one and two, and then about a pound a month until 5 or 6 pounds, and now he seems to be gaining about 13 ounces a month... I know with all the things we are worried about, you can rest assured his weight is perfectly fine!!!

Lisa

p.s glad to hear the nursing is going a bit better... will pm you a bit later when i have a moment.
    Last edited by lf105; February 13th, 2007 at 04:10 PM. Reason: took personal name out...

DJ's Mom- Thank you for your encouraging words. Actually, starting solids was not exactly my idea. I`ve been pressured by family, friends since ds was about 3 mo. I`ve been postponing it, but since his weight has also slowed down, thought I would get less worried looks if I start solids. I will definitely do the research though

andrea_ohio- Thank you for the sites. I`m reading through them and feeling more and more at peace as I go along

llowe- Oh, I know he was gaining really well for three months. So, will it slow down even more? I know, should not worry because he is a healthy, active little guy. He cannot sit still for even a minute.
    Avocados sound good to me, I will get some later. I gave him some applesauce today (at his 4 mo check up we were told it`s a good first food). He played with it and make very funny faces. Too cute

lf105- Lisa, I`ve been thinking about you too. How are you doing? Your little one`s weight gain sounds similar to ds. He was eating 24/7 then. Could not keep him off my boobs. Now, it is the opposite. Yes, PM me please. I cannot wait to hear an update from you.

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot