Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bottle Feeding and Nipple Confusion--Question

Question Bottle Feeding and Nipple Confusion--Question

My DH and I want to go out on Valentines Day (haven't had a date since the summer since I was on strict bedrest with him!)

My mom is going to watch the boys while we go to dinner and a movie; I'm going to leave about 4 feedings worth of EBM for her. We have the "Breastflow" bottles from The First Years, they are supposed to be much like the breast. He's only had the bottle like 4 times total and the last time, finally didn't seem to fight it as bad.

He will be 8 weeks on Thursday and BF is very established--he won't even take a pacifier! Will being bottle fed for a night cause nipple confusion? He's 7 weeks old--Is this a bad idea, like is it too early to try something like this? We want to do something special with just the 2 of us so bad!

~Michelle

Default Re: Bottle Feeding and Nipple Confusion--Question

Probably not. Nipple confusion is more of an issue before 4-6 weeks. I would suggest feeding him right before you leave and as soon as you come home, though.

However--4 feedings worth? Are you planning to be gone for that long, or are you just leaving extra in case he needs it? If you're going to miss 4 feedings at the breast, you're probably going to be very uncomfortable. You'd need to pump while you are out.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

LOL no, I was just going to leave that amount with her just in case. Since he's always been EBF, I really have nothing to go by as far as how much he is getting from me. So I figured, better to have excess than not enough, kwim?

Anyway, looks like it is not in the cards for us this time. My mom called today to say that my father came down with a terrible cold and she's starting to get a sore throat. Looks like we're going to spend V-Day at home, but that is ok. At least I don't have to be concerned about it anymore.

One more question, though--will letting hubby give him a bottle every now and then decrease my supply? I have all this milk now, would like to put it to good use. Thanks for the help.

~Michelle

you could take the baby with you.
    Thats what we do.. We have 4 kids and its just to much of a pain to leave the smallest. We didn't start leaving her with my mom untill she was about 2.
    When they are small like your baby, if you time it right will just sleep in their car seat and you never hear a peep out of them.
    At the movies pick a seat in the back and you can nurse with out anybody knowing what you are doing.

You asked about DH feeding a bottle here and there. That's OK. I'd pump that session that DH is feeding, so that a) you keep your supply going and b) you'll have stored milk for DH (or whoever) to feed the next time. If nothing else, you can stash it in your freezer for an emergency.

Lisa

I had this same concern. But he may resist because he does like the comfort that you give him, your smell etc. He will be so happy to see you when you return and go back to nursing.