Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply issues in just one breast

Red face Supply issues in just one breast

Hi, all. I really hope this is the right place to post this...

I started pumping and storing milk yesterday. My left breast is putting out 3-4 ounces at a time while my right is only giving about 1/2 to an ounce of milk. I've also noticed, to my dismay, that the right breast, the one that isn't producing as much, is considerably smaller than my left. What's happening? They were the same size before pregnancy! Is there something I can do to increase the supply in just that breast? I've tried pumping from just it, and nursing him on just it, but it's leaving my left one engorged and painful. Any suggestions? I want my even boobies back!

~Michelle

Default Re: Supply issues in just one breast

Hi Michelle,

My best guess would be that baby is not nursing well on the side that isn't producing as much. Did you notice this problem before you started pumping, or just now?

Well, in the past couple weeks, I noticed the right was slightly smaller, but not nearly as much difference as now....

Michelle,

I have a similar problem. Its really a chicken and egg thing since now DD gets more out of the one, she feeds more on that side making it even more lopsided!

I have no solution except when I have time, I try leave her on my smaller one to suckle for comfort.

My sympathy!!

Michelle,

If I could be there "in person" I would want to check his latch and positioning on the side that isn't producing as much. Is that nipple sore at all? When he nurses on that side, do you see him sucking and swallowing well? Does he arch or pull back at that breast?

Some moms find that an adjustment by a chiropractor who specializes in treating infants can improve baby's nursing pattern when they seem to nurse better on one side than the other.

HTH,

Tiana

Well, they are both kinda tender/sore but that is because lately he's not wanted to go more than 45 mins to an hour without the boob in his mouth. LOL--I'm his pacifier. He is gaining well, has lots of pee diapers, and is pooping every day or 2 now. (He just changed from going 10x a day to like 1 or 2 every other day..I've been told it's normal.) I haven't noticed any more soreness on that one. He does arch or pull back on that one but not a whole lot, and when he comes off of it, he seems just as satisfied as he does with the other one...I'm just baffled...

If he seems satisfied and you are not particularly sore, then it is probably nothing to be alarmed about. Many women produce a little more on one side or the other. I understand wanting to be "even" though .

I'm starting to wonder if it's not a pump issue. What kind of pump are you using? Does it seem to fit you well on both sides? Does pumping hurt at all?

curiously,

Tiana