Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I stopped giving solids this weekend

Default I stopped giving solids this weekend

My DD (almost 7 mo.) has been on solids for about 3 1/2 weeks now. She has had bananas, sweet potato, avocado and carrots. It seems that everything she is eating is making her very gassy. It got so bad that she is waking up at night from the gas. She was a full-term baby and we have no food allergies in the family. I can't pin point if it is one food because they have all upset her tummy...so I stopped giving her solids on Sunday for a test run and see how the next couple of days go.

Could all foods give her gas? Is she not ready for solids? Should I delay giving them to her for a while...is that okay if she is exclusively bf?

Oh, by the way, she LOVES to eat solids!!! She cries sometimes if DH and I are eating and we are not sharing!

Default Re: I stopped giving solids this weekend

Since you say she LOVES to eat solids and is 7 mos. old, I think in this case it might make more sense to try to find a food that doesn't upset her stomach.

After your baby's had a break from solids for a day or 2, it makes sense to me that you could eliminate all but one food, and try just one for a whole day or couple of days...maybe just one meal a day even....and maybe in the morning, so you can observe baby a little better throughout the day afterwards....plus, if that particular food does cause gas in baby, it would probably be out of her system by nighttime if you gave it in the morning for breakfast.

I might also suggest that you consider rice or rice cereal as the food to try. While rice cereal is highly processed and mainly just "filler", it is also relatively bland, and one of the reasons so many doc.s actually suggest it as a first food is that it rarely causes any bad reactions in babies. I probably wouldn't feed it all the time, but it might be a good starting point to try to figure out if ALL solids are causing your DD problems, or just a couple of the ones you've been trying.

She should be ok being exclusively breastfed for awhile yet...some babies don't take in many solids until after a year, but all babies are different. Personally, with my boys, they reached a point sometime after 6-7 mos. where they didn't decrease their breastmilk intake at all, but still had a "need" for some solids on top of that. I have always had oversupply, so that wasn't the problem, they just got to a point in their development where the BM wasn't as filling and they needed some solids also...though not much was actually needed, their MAIN source of nutrition was/is breastmilk for at least the first year.

So basically, I'm saying to observe your DD...if she seems to handle breastmilk alone well, then it's probably fine to go a bit longer exclusively breastfeeding, but I would work towards figuring out whether or not its all solids, or just a couple that she has issues with, as it sounds from your post that she is developmentally ready for solids.

Default Re: I stopped giving solids this weekend

Thanks for the feedback. I will admit, I didn't wait a week between trying new foods like I was supposed to. I was switching them every three days so maybe there wasn't enough time allowed to notice which solid was causing the problem. I think I will try again tomorrow in the morning and try to give her just that food for about a week before moving on to the next.