Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE READ: a word about herbs and meds

Exclamation PLEASE READ: a word about herbs and meds

*Just a friendly mod reminder*

There has been a lot of discussion lately about herbs, medications, and other OTC treatments for low milk supply. Please remember, that La Leche League leaders are not medical professionals, nor do we intend that any information given in these chats take the place of appropriate medical consultation.

Thank you for NOT giving medical advice.
    Please talk to your healthcare provider before taking ANY herbs or otc meds.

Thanks Ladies!

Tiana

Default Re: PLEASE READ: a word about herbs and meds

*bump*

Thanks for the reminder.

You're welcome.

I have to be devil's advocate in this case because I would get no where with my health care providers.

My OB has always given me subtle pressure to give up b/f and my LC admitted she can't give any advice on meds like domperidone.

I think b/f in general is still not mainstream enough to be able to easily find the answers we need on herbals, etc...from the average doctor. It's sad but true.....

So if we can't discuss amongst ourselves hard to come by information, where are we supposed to go?

You're absolutely welcome to discuss them here, Ebbie. We fully understand that the information isn't always very accessible, and health care providers may not have all the information to base a recommendation on. That is where we can come in. We can offer information that a mother can share with her health care provider.

I want everyone to be aware that there is a difference between offering information and support and giving medical advice.

The following are made up examples to help clarify the differences.

Medical advice:

"Your supply is low? Get some domperidone. It's the best drug with the least side effects."

"Fenugreek is all natural. There is no harm in taking it. Take it three times per day until you smell of maple syrup. It's the only way to increase your production."

"Take wubba wubba fruit. Three capsules, three times a day should do the trick!"

Information and support:

"I have taken wubba wubba fruit and it worked well for me. I found some helpful information at www.ilikewubbawubbafruit.com . I hope things look up for you soon!"

"Yes, I tried domperidone. My doctor wrote me a prescription and I had it filled at a compounding pharmacy. It worked for me. I fed baby, and pumped afterwards to be sure breasts were well drained. I worked with my IBCLC to correct his latch. Now my production levels have increased, and my baby is getting stronger and better at draining the breast."

The difference is subtle, but it is there.

Since we are not health care providers, we cannot tell a mother what to take and we cannot tell her what is safe for her to take. We can give her information and support to help her make the best choice fo her and her family. Furthermore, we always urge mothers to include their health care providers in any decision that could impact their health or that of their baby(ies).

The first rule in increasing milk production is to remove more milk! No matter what galactagogue (milk increaser) is added to the routine, it will not help unless the breasts are well drained, signaling the milk producing cells to make more.

We want to assure that mothers are practicing good breastfeeding management techniques before trying herbal or pharmaceutical galactagogues, and that she continues good management techniques if she chooses to take a galactagogue. We do NOT want to limit what kind of conversation occurs in this forum, but we do want to assure that anyone who views this forum can easily see that while galactagogues can be helpful, they are not the ONLY way to increase production. They are just one way to help when breastfeeding management techniques are not enough!

I hope that helps to clarify our stance.

lmao Mummy and Super J!

I understand the point. And youre right it's a subtle difference between medical advice and information....

When people have b/f problems emotions can run high and its easy to see how the line gets blurred. I think some people would take eye of newt if they heard it worked!.....Myself, I'd definitely read about it!

bumpity-bump

I understand the concern about giving people the impression that they should jump to domperidone (or other medication) before considering other non-drug fixes, and not dispensing medical advice. On the other hand, as someone previously said, it's not easy to get good medical advice (or a prescription) when it is necessary. When I went to visit an OB/gyn the other day (for an unrelated reason), I was bumped off to nurse practitioner, who said she was also a lactation consultant. Her reaction to my being on domperidone was "isn't that for let-down? why would you be taking it for low milk supply?". She didn't understand what it was used for. The fact is that many medical professionals don't know about domperidone, and even if they do, don't know that it can be obtained legally in the US. So I think there's a legitimate role in the forum in passing info along to people that they wouldn't otherwise get, even if it might be considered medical in nature. But of course it has to be backed up with evidence, or in the form of "this is my experience".