Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What am I doing wrong?

Question What am I doing wrong?

My dd is 3 and1/2 months, she is bfd (only). I need to go back to work and I tried pumping milk twice with my manual Avent pump. I got 4oz in aprox 45mins.I did relax and drink water.

My friend told me that it takes her 5 min to fill a 5 oz bottle.
    What am I doing wrong?

Default Re: What am I doing wrong?

One mistake that many pumping mothers make is comparing themselves to their friends, family, other mothers. If it is, indeed, true that she is able to get 5 oz. in 5 min, that is certainly not common and should not be used as a "rule of thumb" or a guideline with which to compare your pumping success.

That said, the style of breast pump is very important, and most often, mothers who will be pumping often or regularly usually find that they need something more powerful than a manual pump. You may look into the local hospital or lactation consultant that rents out hospital grade pumps or invest in one of the higher grade retail pumps.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. First, everyone is individual. Person A may get more/less milk from person B in more/less time. It also will probably get easier for you as you pump more. And you'll probably get more when you are away from baby at work. It takes me about 30 minutes to get 5 oz. from my right breast when I pump at work. I get less with each subsequent pumping of the day.

Good luck!
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

Thank you so much.
    I feel more"normal" now!!!

Don't be suprised if your milk supply increased as your conmfort level with pumping increases. Even smaller amounts of stress can impact your output. Also, don't concentrate on time pumping, etc, just pump as much as you can and leave it at that. I used to keep a box of nursing tea at my desk and it was my little ritual three times a day at work to brew a cup, sit in a quiet place, and pump for about 20 minutes. I had an electric pump by Ameda which worked great for me and was about a third of what the medela pump cost.

Basically, don't worry about how much other people pumped and know that if you can relax and just focus on your baby (have a picture or something to look at) it will get easier and easier with time.

ITA w/ the above. We can't compare ourselves to each other when it comes to pumping. It's very individual. Do you know that some mothers (even with a huge oversupply) can't pump a drop?! It's true! Pumping is a learned art. Practice makes perfect!

That being said, have you considered trying a different pump? Sometimes the pump or the technique is the issue. Also, you might consider using the techniques for assisting MER (letdown) found here and see if they help: http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html