Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tomatoes or nitrates for 9 mo?

Default Tomatoes or nitrates for 9 mo?

Besides BM our 9 mo gets some baby cereal and mashed table food. Somehow I have this idea that we need to hold off on tomatoes until after 1 year, but cannot find info to back that up. Did I make this up or is there asome reason to delay? She has not had any reactions to anything we have tried yet. She has not liked all of it, but that's another issue

Also I heard one should wait until after 1 year to give baby foods naturally high in nitrates. This was not useful, since fresh foods do not list nitrate levels. Can someone shed some light on this also?

Baby does not receive bacon, cured meats or red wine. What other high nitrate foods would baby possibly be getting?

Thank you!

Default Re: Tomatoes or nitrates for 9 mo?

Dr. Sears http://askdrsears.com/html/3/T030500.asp (not an LLL site) lists tomatoes as 12-18 mos.

I think that things like hot dogs have nitrates, but am not sure.

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here

Carrots, depending on the area of the country/soil type they are grown in can be high in nitrates. That's why people are usually advised, even if they are making their own baby foods entirely, not to do so with carrots and to purchase jarred (organic, if possible!) carrots since those are only made with low-nitrate carrots.... BUT, if I remember my reading correctly, by 9-12 months or so, this is less of an issue for babies.
    Ruth Yarron's book, "Super Baby Foods" has some info on this, I believe.
    good luck!
    Jsmom

Tomatoes are very acidic, so I would be cautious with them until baby is older, same as with citrus fruit. It could cause rashes.