Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many feeds?

Default Re: How many feeds?

Quote Originally Posted by Mia'sMom View Post
    When my baby was 3 months, I came here with the same concerns. This article really helped me put things in perspective, realize that what we were going through was normal, and embrace breastfeeding on demand. Hope it helps.
    thanks for the advice. this article is great. These forums are like a life boat. I have had so much silly advice from people around me here (doctors, relatives etc) that these forums seem like an island of sanity. tks for all the advice. x

Smile Re: How many feeds?

I was asked to put a reference to my quote, sorry it took so long but here are some refrences

A study found “ that many women experience success in schedule feeding their breastfed babies during the first couple of months. However, these women have an unusually high rate of milk supply failure around 3-4 months”

http://www.lalecheleague.org/ba/May99.html says

Empirical and theoretical evidence combined continues to support current recommendations of the American Academy of Pediatrics11 that babies, most especially breastfed babies, need to be fed on cue and should be allowed to set their own routine, rather than placed on a predetermined schedule. It is our further conclusion that practices which interfere with babies' cuings have been responsible for low weight gains, failure to thrive, milk supply failure, involuntary early weaning, and possibly even some cases of colic, as well as infant regression and depression due to lack of parental responsiveness to baby's frantic cues. Maternal milk production and infant intake are influenced by many factors, including frequency of feeding during the establishment of lactation, maternal milk storage capacity, infant stomach capacity, milk fat content, and the degree of breast emptying at any given feeding. Thus the evidence is very strong that arbitrary scheduling of breastfed infant feedings is inadvisable for any mother who desires to breastfeed successfully.
    From http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...rMay98p21.html

<H4>Myth 2: A mother only needs to nurse four to six times a day to maintain good milk supply.

Fact: Research shows that when a mother breastfeeds early and often, an average of 9.9 times a day in the first two weeks, her milk production is greater, her infant gains more weight and she continues breastfeeding for a longer period. Milk production has been shown to be related to feeding frequency, and milk supply declines when feedings are infrequent or restricted.
    Daly, S., Hartmann, R Infant demand and milk supply: Part 1 and 2. J Hum Lact 1995; 11(1):21-37.
    De Carvalho, M. et al. Effect of frequent breastfeeding on early milk production and infant weight gain Pediatrics 1983: 72:307-11.
    De Coopman, J. Breastfeeding after pituitary resection: support for a theory of autocrine control of milk supply. J Hum Lact 1993; 9(1):35-40.
    Riordan, I. and Auerbach, K. Breastfeeding and Human Lactation. Boston and London: Jones and Bartlett 1993; 88.
    </H4>From http://www.militantbreastfeedingcult...e_feeding.html

The implication for scheduled feeding is quite evident, as noted in one of Daly and Hartmann's papers:
    At an historical level the typical four hourly breastfeeding schedule that was once widely favoured in the western world [citations removed] may not have caused problems for women with larger storage capacities but might have had disastrous consequences for women with smaller storage capacities. Such women, who needed to breastfeed more frequently, would have been aware that their provision of milk was inadequate on a four hourly breast- feeding schedule. However, rather than dispensing with the schedule, it is clear that such mothers more often doubted their ability to provide milk for their infants and instead introduced artificial milks.
    from http://www.bpni.org/breastfeeding/Br..._prospects.pdf

Studies reveal that frequent nursing increases the volume of
    breast milk, while less frequent nursing diminishes it. [11], [12] Also, the pattern of frequent nursing
    during the early postpartum period is associated with more sustained lactation during the subsequent
    months. [13]
    . . .

11. Egli, G.E.; Egli, N.S. and Newton, M: 'The influence of the number of feedings per day on
    milk production", Paediatrics, 27:314-325 (1961). 12. Rattingan, S.; Ghisalberti, A.V. and Hartmann,
    P.E.: "Breast milk production in Australian women", British Journal of Nutrition, 45:243-54 (1981). 13.
    Salariya, E.M.; Easton, P.M. et al: "Duration of breastfeeding after early initiation and frequent feeding",
    Lancet 2:1141 (1978).

Good enough? LOL (I read entirly too, too much medical and breastfeeding stuff!! LOL)