Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will she need to eat prunes forever?

Default Will she need to eat prunes forever?

Poor DD. If I don't give her prunes she has a really hard time passing her BM's. They are GIANT too. She loves her veggies so much and eats plenty of pears. Last week I ran out of prunes and figured the pears would be just as good but they weren't. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Also, she self feeds. How can I get her to self feed prunes? Should they be boiled first?

Smile Re: Will she need to eat prunes forever?

My daughter needed to eat prunes for probably the first two years of her life in order to pass her BMs, but she was formula fed, not breastfed. Isn't it rare for a breastfed baby to have problems passing their BMs even after they are eating solids?
    As for self feeding options, I found whole prunes too dangerous - they're quite gummy. But I would take the baby food prunes and spread it on toast for her - like jam - then cut into little fingers for her to self feed. Worked for me!

Default Re: Will she need to eat prunes forever?

We have this same issue. My son is almost three, and with his daily dose of prunes, he's fine. If he doesn't get them, horribly constipated. For us, though, I think this has a lot to do with the fact that he eats a lot of bananas--he needs the prunes to balance them . I too have wondered if I will still be mixing pureed prunes in his oatmeal in middle school .

Yeah, she had a huge BM today, poor thing screamed and cried the entire time. It was very formed, adult like. I guess we will just continue with the prunes. I do put them on her waffles, but she really should lay off the solids for a while and get back on track (she will hate this)

have you tried prune juice? my niece is nearly 4 years old and was really struggling with bm so my sister tried prune juice and that worked, you might need to dilute the juice down tho.

My DD is 9 months and has had this problem a while now. It looks so painful for her. We went to the ped for her 9 month check-up and she told me to do prunes, peaches & pears. If you do cereal, she said Oatmeal is good because of the fiber in it. Also, she said she needs more fluids like water or BM. I don't want to give her too much water though so that she doesn't want to nurse. I offer some throughout the day, but nothing has really helped so far. Some days her BM are okay, but most of the time they are formed. Every once in a while they look like little pellets.

She loves to self feed green beans, peas and sweet potatoe chunks (my own homemade veg medly). I think the portions last week were too large and contributed to the problem. Not enough fiber in her diet. She loves oatmeal, adult style, with a fruit mixed in. I guess I will start that more. I just hate to deprive her of her favorite stuff. She shovels the veggies in and pants for more