Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby Led and Spoon Fed

Default Baby Led and Spoon Fed

I was wondering is there a possibilty of combining the baby led and mushy food from a spoon?

Default Re: Baby Led and Spoon Fed

Oh, I think so, definitely. I would classify what we're doing as that. For example, I don't buy baby foods or feed Kesiah purees EXCEPT if what we're eating is a puree (e.g. mashed potatoes) I will have a baby-safe version of the same (I'd set aside some potatoes pre-cream, butter and salt) that I will let her have if she's going crazy for what I have on my plate. That's what Idid with oatmeal when she was about 6.5 months. She can't get enough of it. So she got some on a spoon and some to play with. FWIW, oatmeal cools nicely and breaks up into chunks that baby can self-fed (learned that from Paint-the-Moon aka Annie) And this is what I did with yoghurt when we tried that out. (spooning, that is, not chunks )

Mostly, though, Kesiah gets food she can play with and feed to herself.

IMHO, the most important points of baby-led are
    • Don't stress eating or not eating, it's just fun right now
    • Let the baby choose the (safe, appropriate) foods he wants to experiment with
    • Opportunities to explore and learn about mealtime, smells and textures

It's not about doing it "right," it's about doing it fun. Again, MY opinion on it. There may be some baby-led purists who disagree, but that's cool

We're just beginning to experiment wirh solids so am not at all an expert on this! But my understanding of baby-led is that the key is to let baby set the pace for what she wants to eat and how much and that introducing solids should be about experimenting and learning. If baby likes eating off a spoon occasionally, in my opinion it would be fine to combine that with letting baby self-feed.

The couple of times that I've tried using a spoon with our LO, however, he REALLY wants to totally self feed and has no interest in me using the spoon to feed him. He's so excited grabbing at the spoon to hold it himself that the only way I'd be able to feed him with a spoon is to hold his hands down which I'm definitely not going to do! I tried the two spoon diversionary tactic but he's already figured that one out.

So its looking like we'll probably do mostly self fed, which I figure is my baby taking after me. My mom says that when I was 8 mo old I HAD to feed myself and would not let her spoon feed me at all. I guess I was ahead of my time with doing baby-led solids
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

you can also give your lo the spoon full of food....
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

Unless your LO is like Kesiah, in which case the spoon (otherwise known as "a flag") is waved vigorously about and whatever food was on it now lives on your wall/ceiling.

I am giving my baby pureed homemade food on a spoon, but he is soo into it and will grab the spoon (as I help guide it) and put it in his mouth.
    I never feed him if he doesn't seem to want it. I think it's a good compromise, and keeps him from getting frustrated.
    Hi! I'm Ann, Mama to my "big baby buffalo" , DS#1, who breastfed from August '06 to January '08
    and DS#2, my"little baby buffalo" born in May '08 and exclusively breastfeeding

I think that what we do is a combination. I give her finger foods to self feed and she plays and plays but is not really interested in eating them right now. But I have also experimented with giving her purees with a spoon and she loves it! I know everyone thinks that it is evil, but she also loves rice cereal. It is probably her favorite (good thing because she has allergies and will probably be drinking rice milk through some of her toddler years) Anyway, because these have been such a big hit, we spoon feed a lot. When she takes the initiative though, I let her "feed herself" with the spoon and I never force her to eat if she is not interested. It is cute, she actually tries to feed me with the spoon too.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.