Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pacifier & Breastfeeding

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Pacifier & Breastfeeding

Hi! Thank you for asking this question, and thanks everyone for your answers.

I have a similar conern: does a pinky finger have the potential to cause nipple confusion?

we also gave her a pacifier from the early weeks. Elaina is now 4.5 weeks and has no problems going from breast to pacifier. She doesn't usually want a pacifier but there are times when she gets so fussy at night (she's colicky), she's not hungry, has a clean diaper and just wants to suck. I'll usually give her my breast to suck on but mommas need sleep too! So, there are times when the pacifier does the trick! other times it doesn't, it just depends. I was worried at first about it interfering with her latch but I just watched her and she was fine. Do what feels right for you- all babies are different.

Diana

does a pinky finger have the potential to cause nipple confusion?
    A baby would suck on a pinky finger much like they would a breast (not exactly though). When you put your pinky finger into baby's mouth, baby still cups the finger with his tongue and the finger extends far into the mouth up into the soft palate, like the breast does. A pacifier is not sucked on the same as a pinky finger would be.

HTH

Thanks for the responses...Like Diana said, there are times when my dd is just plain ole fussy. I'm sure she is going thru a growth spurt, but the fussiness seems to occur only at night (when we want to sleep )... I will always give her the breast to suck on but if she has just finished eating she will just hold the breast in her mouth. When I've offered her the pacificer she often spits it out..but a few times she has accepted it. To date, it hasn't interfered with her nursing. As all have suggested...all babies are different and I will find out what works/doesn't work soon enough.

Much appreciated...Leslie