Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Herniated Belly Button???

Question Herniated Belly Button???

Ok, this is an odd one and I'm just not sure where to post this, so if I put it in the wrong place, I apologize.

My LO is 7 weeks old. I've noticed over the past few days that his belly button is sticking WAY out. We're talking about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. (Hee hee, it reminds me of a cabbage patch doll LOL ) If I press gently on it, it goes back in, and when I release it, it comes right back out. It doesn't feel terribly hard, and it does not seem to bother him, but it REALLY sticks out when he poops, passes gas or cries. If he's sleeping, or calm, it's less prominent.

I did a bit of digging online and it sounds like this is a 'herniated belly button'. Has anyone experienced this? If so, did it go away, like they say it will?

I wonder if there is a link between this and and his sudden change in bowel pattern recently....any thoughts?

~Michelle

Default Re: Herniated Belly Button???

My DS had a herniated belly button. When he would cry it would stick out even more. It can be kinda scary. He is now almost 8 months old and it has pretty much gone away. Once they start being more active it will start to go away. I would just make sure that your pedi is aware of it.
    Mama to Andrew 6-20-06
    My angel in heaven, Benjamin William 11-2-07 to 11-5-07
    Kaitlyn 6-12-09

My son had one as well but it wasn't very big at all. We let it go thinking it would go away (he always had an "outtie") but over the years it got larger but the Ped. still said it was okay. By the time he was about 8 or 9 it had gotten very big all the sudden and we had to take him in for minor surgery. Now he has an innie which he is thrilled about. It will probably go away but if it doesn't, the surgery isn't a big deal.

My 5 month old DD has one. We noticed it around 6 weeks, then it got progressively bigger. It was probably at its biggest when she was around 3 months old. Since she's more active, it's definitely going down. I freaked out about it at first! It does look weird, you can hear gurgling from it, and it seems like it's never going to go away. But my ped said not to worry about it; one of the doctors in my office said her daughter's didn't fully go away until she was 9.

I wouldn't think that the bowel movement pattern is related... that is probably more of an age thing.