Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Looking to become breastfeeding counselor but...

Smile Looking to become breastfeeding counselor but...

In my area the prevalence of breastfeeding has grown, and now is at an all time high. Unfortunately many moms and moms to be are not fully educated on the benefits and how-to's of breast feeding, and as I have experienced it first hand (well, pumping actually... can't breast feed, something medical) Id love to share what I know. I have found multitudes of job openings for breast feeding counselors but they all require taking a course to be certified. THIS is where you ladies come in. Im trying to find a course to take to become a counselor but am having difficulties finding what needs to be done to do it. I live in the southside chicago area and am wondering if anyone might be able to help out at all. Does the LLL have courses I can take, or any information on where to go to find any? I would really truly appreciate any and all advice and encouragement as many in my family think this is simply a pipe dream. I actually am excited about this, something I haven't been in a while. Im sticking to my guns. Even if it means student loans Im willing to try my best to realize this goal. Thanks!
    ~J

Default Re: Looking to become breastfeeding counselor but...

really? anyone know whats involved in doing that?
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

You can do an on-line course to become a lactation consultant.
    No, not really. You can do a series of courses to become a peer counselor, a CLE (certified lactation educator) or CLC (certified lactation counselor). I believe both of those are fairly short series.

However to become an IBCLC--Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant, you have to have a comprehensive breastfeeding education (that includes many of the courses that would be pre-reqs for nursing school or med school), you have to do practical hours (500-4000 depending on your background and education) and you have to sit for an exam published by the IBCLE (International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners), and THEN you must re-certify every 5 years.

There are people out there who call themselves "lactation consultants" but unless they have an IBCLC after their name, you don't really know what their exact qualifications are.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

This provides a list of online schools you can get your basic training in.

http://www.iblce.org/old/health%20pr...quirements.htm

I'm currently looking into this one:

http://www.health-e-learning.com/

okay - I have a question.

I have been looking at the ibclc website off and on, trying to comprehend the requirements and either I am thick in the head or the site is confusing. We'll say it's me.

Can a leader help me? or should I try and contact the site folk? I think I have the educational requirements but I am having a difficult time understanding how to figure hours as well as how many I'd need given the degree i have etc... does that mean I should not go the ibclc route since I can't even figure out the website???
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

You might try calling them directly so you can discuss the specifics of your situation. Good luck!
    Mary

Thanks I didn't know I could call
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary484 View Post
    This provides a list of online schools you can get your basic training in.

http://www.iblce.org/old/health%20pr...quirements.htm

I'm currently looking into this one:

http://www.health-e-learning.com/

I think I am going to look into this too. This way, I can also teach mothers (and fathers) more about BFing in my Happiest Baby classes! (THB are BIG advocators of BFing!!)

Hey! I am new at this forum, I live in Cancun and also, my dream is to become a IBCLC. I know (and just confirmed with your comments) that it is a long process because it takes lots of experience and study .

I was considering taking one of the on line courses from www.bsccenter.org. I have been in contact with Pam Alley, its Executive Director, here you have her data>

Pamela Allyn, RN, BSN, LCCE, IBCLC, RLC
    Executive Director
    Breastfeeding Support Consultants
    44 N Cornell, Villa Park IL 60181
    Phone: 630-547-5057
    email: pallyn@bsccenter.org

With my degree as a Biologist, I am elegible for Course 511 Lactation Consultant Course, and it takes around 12 to 18 months to complete it. Then, I'll be a Certified Lactation Counselor, but NOT an IBCLC.

it might not be the IBCLC, but no body gets this title easy...
    this sounds like a good start in the process of making a dream come true...

what do you think?