Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sudden problems breastfeeding

Default Re: sudden problems breastfeeding

let me just say first, please do not give up. believe you can do this and it will be easier to deal with. i ran into the SAME exact problems with my 1st son. we gave up. i regret it now still 3 years later.

i went into BFing with my 2nd son with the mindset that i could make it through!! and 6.5 months later we are going strong with bumps in the road as well at times.

could it be thrush?

could she be gassy?

is she refusing the binky at that time as well?

are you getting engorged, maybe it's there is a slow let down?

here's my opinion, formula isn't the devil but it definitely isn't a good thing to throw into the mix. i feel like im always "anti-formula" but i have just seen in my experiences and others that once formula is introduced it's only a matter of weeks before the BFing relationship is out the window.
    so stick with it!! (((big hugs)))
    ~~ Valarie ~~
    wife to matt
    mommy to
    ricky 2.9.03, christian 6.28.05, baby olive due JAN 2008

I wanted to say that they can have a sudden onset of nipple confusion. A friend of mine had a very similiar thin g happen and had to cut out the pac and do lots of skin to skin. She used a dropper until baby latched back on and stayed. Maybe try that for a week or so?
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL LactoJen
    Hmmm, yeah, if you've been using a paci this whole time I don't think that would be an issue all of a sudden.

Is she screaming all the time or just during feeds? How are you determining that she's ready to eat? Crying is a late hunger cue. Sometimes if you wait until they are crying to feed, they get frantic and have trouble latching on. Do you think offering the breast 10 or 15 minutes earlier than usual would help?

Forgive me if I'm way off the mark. . . just brainstorming here! It's hard when we can't see you in person I'm glad to hear you're going to see your healthcare provider!

Jen

Red face Re: sudden problems breastfeeding

Once again, a huge thank-you to everyone!

I went to my health visitor (I get the feeling a lot of you are american - I'm English and a health visitor is basically the person who looks after baby from 2 weeks old. They are usually a complete waste of space in my and all my friends' opinions I'm afraid!)
    Abigail has gained a little weight. Still only a little but at least some - and she hasn't lost any, so I'm taking this as an encouragement.

To answer various queries -
    I don't have a strong let-down usually - far from it, so it might well be that she's having trouble getting any.

Last night she was hungry (I feed her at the first signs, or sometimes before if it's been a while, and don't wait for hunger crying) but absolutely wouldn't latch on. This was about 8 pm. She was calm but hungry but when I tried feeding her she opened her mouth wide, I moved her to the breast and she put her mouth round the nipple...and then refused to suck at all and started wailing. After about half an hour she was so upset that my husband (I haven't worked out all these db, dh, ds etc!) gave her a bottle of expressed milk - which she very happily lapped up. So, hungry but not wanting to suck on me. Very upsetting...And I can't just give her expressed as I have trouble expressing more than an ounce at a time...

At bedtime, about 11pm, ar first she wouldn't latch on again - lots of wailing - but after the 4th attempt she latched on and ate for about 7 mins (average for her). However, she was reluctant - very stiff, trying to pull away, making little cries.

This morning - fed just fine.

this is driving me nuts. Just as I think I'm going to give up, she feeds perfectly happily. Just as I think we're over the problems, she has another crying fit and refusal to suck. *sigh*

Breastfeeding is *hard*! It's worth it, but I do wish I'd been warned how hard it is - I was told that although hard for the first couple of days, it would then be easy and relaxing! Ha! I think if I'd known it was going to be hard I wouldn't be so upset now as knowing that other people have problems really does help me persevere

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your loving support - reading these posts has really helped keep me going.

-Lil

I'm glad to hear she gained weight! That's definitely a good sign.

You mentioned that your DH gave her a bottle of expressed milk when she wouldn't latch last night. Is that something that you guys do very often? I ask because you say that you don't have forceful let-downs. If she's having a bottle, even once in a while, she might be getting used to the "instant letdown" that a bottle provides. Just a thought

Can you figure any differences between the times when she takes the breast and the times when she refuses it? Does it happen in a certain location in the house, at a certain time of day, in a certain nursing position? Has she been ill at all or acting like she's teething?

Hang in there! Many mothers find they struggle for the first several weeks with nursing and then at about 3 months of age or so, things suddenly get easier. It's a learning process for both of you. You're doing a great job mommy!

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Smile Re: sudden problems breastfeeding

Hello everyone!
    Just to let you know that we had a really good day yesterday - she fed for 10 minutes at a time (a marathon for her!) and with minimal crying. She even fed at 8pm, right at the time when she's normally hysterical. A whole day of happy baby has really improved my temperament - I have no idea what, if anything, has changed (I've been through my 'baby diary' with a fine-tooth comb and there's nothing that I've obviously done right/different!) but I am thanking God for such a great day. She's also discovered that her hands belong to her and is enjoying watching them wave around...

Just thought I'd let you all know - after all, you were there for me during the difficult days so you deserve to know that your suggestions and support have helped!
    thank-you, thank-you

-lil

ps to Jen - we only *very* occasionally use a bottle. We had to start as I had major dental surgery not long after she was born so was unable to feed her (she was quite happy to go back to feeding after I was better though - the problems were later on so I don't think they were connected). The bottle on Tues was the first one in about 2 weeks.

Ah okay! I figured you would have mentioned it if you gave it more frequently, but thought I'd check

What wonderful news! I'm so glad you had a good day! Maybe she just wasn't feeling well or something for a few days. Don't you wish they could just talk and tell you the problem sometimes? LOL

Hope you have another great nursing day!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

My first son was like this. Screamed and cried alot no matter what i did. It was very frustrating. He also only nursed for about 10 minutes at time and only on one side at a time. Then an hour later he'd be at it again. Some days he would eat readily, others he would act like he wanted on, then pull away screaming. He also spit-up so much I wondered how he was gaining weight. I discovered that when he was fussy he would nurse a little better in a more upright position like with a football hold. Those were the days that he wouldn't sleep lying down either, but would sleep if I held him or put him in the swing. I thought he had acid reflux but the dr said they'd only treat it if he stopped gaining weight. He also did this whenever he was teething and i found that if I gave him one of those things you put in the fridge to get cold then let him chew on it just before he nursed, then he did better.

I also had a slow let-down and never could pump much out at a time so I thought maybe he didn't get it fast enough so I would pump a little before feeding him just to get the letdown faster.

In the end, it got better around 3 or 4 months... except when he was teething. Hang in there and try to relax even though it's stressful. Your baby will pick up on your stress and that can make it worse. You're doing great and keep looking for support to get through it!

Unhappy Re: sudden problems screaming baby

I too have the same problem. . .my son is 3.5 months old and went on strike from my right side completely for the past week. . .I have been pumping after feeding the left until he completely stopped taking milk from my breasts at all. Then I tried to latch him last night and he latched at 10pm, 3am, and has been latching and eating CONSTANTLY for most of the day today. Although this afternoon it was sometimes a struggle to get him to stop his instant screaming and realize that there was something there.

I wonder if my production went waaay down and he was just tired of trying and getting nothing and now my production is back but he still has doubts? I am working from home now and do not have time to pump all the time in addition to feeding him, but I am afraid if I don't pump as well that my production will go down again (that's what happened before). I was prescribed "the mini pill" for birth control when he was 6 weeks old and my production droppped to almost nothing before I realized what had happened. I have felt like I have been struggling with supply issues ever since. And I don't know if this matters or not, but I have had 3 periods (one for each month since he's been born). . .so do you think my hormones are just too screwed up to produce enough milk? Do you think he doesn't want to BF because he can tell I'm mensing?

I don't want to switch to formula, but I feel like BF is driving me crazy, I feel consumed by it. Like I said, I'm working from home now and I am falling behind because I don't have time to pump and feed him and work too.

Dear Lil,
    Just to let you know, in case you're not aware of it, LLL is in England too. 0845 120 2918 will connect you to your nearest LLL Leader.
    Cheers,
    Beth

I am sure you have had her ears checked ... that always sems to be a problem for my nursing babies.

I am currently nursing a 11mo old (my 4th) and just found out I am pregnant (6wks) with my 5th. I too have had sudden problems nursing. We have been battleing a yeast (thrush) issue for some time that is very presistant and not sure how to get rid of it for good... So I quess my question is, could it be the new pregnancy that is effecting the way the milk tastes or the thrush because I know that can be bothersome for babies as well. I do not see thrush in her mouth but I can feel it by way of very tender nipples and she has been a little less interested in nursing and not interested in milk or forulma either...? any ideas?