Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: sudden problems breastfeeding

Default Re: sudden problems breastfeeding

Hi...I just posted with the same problem (see refusal to eat from today). My baby is 11 weeks old. She has done this off and on for the last 6 weeks or so. The doc thought it was reflux and we've tried zantac and prevacid. Both seemed to work but then the same symptoms reappeared a week later. I'm still giving her prevacid but the doc added reglan to help with the spitting up. She has only taken it one day but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Anyway, I can sympathize with your frustration. If you figure this out, please let me know and I will do the same. Last night we videotaped Sadie refusing to eat. There is a shop here in Salt Lake that specializes in breastfeeding. There are professionals there to give advice. I thought I'd take the tape in to show them.

Good luck to you...

Lil - you mentioned that she would go stiff - does she arch back at all? Both my girls had reflux. After being treated like an overreacting first time mother everywhere I turned I backed off the pursuit and stopped all dairy intake with my first. That helped somewhat. We literally went through a bottle of simethicone drops a week even though they didn't help all that much. Now, that my second has the same problems I've vowed to get to the bottom of it. I switched ped's and the new one has been great. He took very detailed notes on what was going on with my baby and ended up prescribing Tagamet (spelling?). She started off 2X a day, then we bumped it up to 3X since 2X improved her condition by about 50%. Symptoms daughter #2 was having were, mostly just after eating: 1) she'd spit milk back up a lot 2) she got the hiccups VERY often 3) she seemed to be choking/catching her breath a lot 4) a big tip-off was she was more comfortable on her stomach when she was upset, according to my ped the esophagus is on the posterior side of the stomach, so when they're on their stomach it's harder for the contents to come back out 5) probably the most tell-tale was she would eat for about 30 seconds, then break off, arch her back and start screaming, after about a minute of that she'd calm down and frantically latch on again as if she hadn't eaten in days, then the cycle would start all over again. There were more symptoms I'm sure, but those are the ones that stick out in my mind. The tests for reflux sound aweful (tube down the throat, etc) and had my ped required them before starting meds I wouldn't have done it...but luckily he was intuitive enough to hit the nail on the head right away.

Not saying that I think your little one has the same problem, but the ped told me that ever since it was recommended to put babies to sleep on their backs they've seen an serious increase in reflux babies. Just something to check into if yours has the same symptoms. There is a lot of info on the web on it also if you do a basic search.

Some things I've done to cope with the problem were 1) tried to feed them as upright as possible, 2) got a wedge for the crib so that they were sleeping with their heads elevated, 3) tried to keep them as upright as possible for about 30 minutes after feeding, 4) laid them across my lap and patted their tush. Both of them had times when it didn't matter what I did, they just wouldn't latch on - when that would happen I found that switching to a football hold, or switching sides sometimes helped. Strangely, the thing I found that helped most of all was to get up and try to get them to latch on while I was standing...I'm not sure why this worked, maybe they were just put into a different position, but I just had to do it tonight (anyone had bad luck with avocados making the baby's stomach upset??)

If you want to chat offline feel free to email me at cswitze1@nycap.rr.com
    Good luck! Off to post on avocados!
    Cara
    PS - just a disclaimer/clarification, I didn't put either on their stomachs when the weren't closely supervised...and especially not while they were sleeping, other than one night that I stayed awake while daughter#2 slept because she was THAT upset and it was the only position she'd sleep in without screaming.

Hello!

Just to update everyone -

I finally took DD to the GP and she thinks that it is reflux (as many people suggested - hooray for the internet!) and prescribed Gaviscon - this brought me up short as it's a medication I've been on since I was a teenager for, wait for it....reflux!! So, I guess it's genetic.

Anyway, the problem is that Abigail won't swallow the gaviscon - she *hates* it. We've tried it in a bottle, from a syringe, dropper etc etc and she just lets it sit in her mouth until she realises I'm not looking and then spits it out!!

So, on the advice of my mother, we tried Gripe Water. This is a very old-fashioned remedy over here in the UK (apparently my mother gave it to me over 30 years ago!) and is completely natural - which I found comforting. It contains a natural antacid and a natural anti-wind element and the best thing is that DD will swallow it most of the time. And it seems to be working!!!
    Hooray!
    We still sometimes have issues - 3 days ago she went the entire afternoon and night refusing to eat - but things are slowly looking up.

So, I reccommend Gripe Water - I think you can get it in the US? It's apparently pleasant to eat if you're a baby, doesn't have nasty artifical ingredients and has been working on babies in the UK since 1851 (that's not a typo - I checked!)!

Thank-you so much to everybody for their support - it was this forum which gave me the confidence to go to the doctor. Over here, a child doesn't have a pediatrician unless there's something wrong, and our 'health visitor' is useless!
    So, thank-you everyone - here's hoping that DD will have gained enough weight that the HV will stop telling me to use formula and give up breastfeeding as it's quite wearing to hear that from a so-called health professional every week

-Lil

Lil:

I responded to your other post but would add here to check for reflux issues as well - does she arch back after eating at all? My DD was a HUGE puker, spitter etc... cried at the breast - even before she got on. She's been on zantac consistently for about a month & its much better! Spitting is way down - although if she gets too much she'll throw some back. But not projectile like its the whole meal! And she doesn't scream anymore unless she is really po'ed! Talk to your dr about it & she what they think.

Hello! I’ve posted a few times on here with various bf problems – and everyone has been fantastically supportive, so thank-you. However, after 11.5 weeks of constant screaming every time I tried to feed my daughter, and having tried absolutely everything, I’m afraid I quit!

Basically, I got to the stage on Friday night where I actually felt suicidal (‘she’d be better off without me, I’m starving her’) and realised with a bang that bf is not the best thing for either of us if that’s how it makes me feel. I gave her a bottle of expressed milk, having tried to bf for 1.5 hours and having only met with screams, and she wolfed it down. I got a second bottle out of the freezer and she wolfed that down too! She ate 8 oz, and she’s only 10lb and would only ever bf for 5-10 mins, so she really was desperately hungry.

I’ve come to the conclusion that she really really doesn’t like breastfeeding – it may well be that she wants to sit bolt upright when eating, or look around at the world, I don’t know. I just know that since I made my momentous, emotional, incredibly hard decision the screaming has stopped and she’s finally eating properly. I pray that she will start to gain weight now too. I’m sure this won’t be the last time that she doesn’t want to do what I think she should!

I will try to feed her as much expressed milk as poss for as long as poss, until my supply fails me. She’s happy to eat the milk from a bottle, so despite all my dietary changes etc it obviously wasn’t the milk itself that was the problem, thank God.

So, thank-you so very much to everyone on this forum for all your kind, supportive words. I couldn’t have made it as far as I did or make this decision without you.

I’ll now go and hang around the pumping forum for some tips…