Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7mo nursing behavior

Default 7mo nursing behavior

I was in the hospital for a few days last week (M-Th). I got to nurse my baby only one time a day but pumped with a hospital grade pump every 4-6 hours. I am wondering if the constant nursing ds is now doing is because of me being gone and he is making sure I am still there. He drank about 5oz every 4-5 hours with dh but it seems sometimes he is on me every 3 hours at least and more during the night. Or is it his constant teething? (has 7 teeth) I don't know if I should stop nursing him when he is just playing around like he does where he will nurse a few minutes and look around and be done. I am not sure that is helping my supply and afraid to pump because then it is time for a regular nursing session.

Also I have no had full breasts but when I was in the hospital I was full after 3-4 hours and could pump more then I ever have. I pumped around the clock for his next days feedings plus some frozen. Why was I full then but never now?

Lastly the age old question how many ounces of milk should my ds get? He is around 18 or so pounds and gets 2-3x solids a day. I read that it should be 25-40oz and I no way have the upper end. I would guess he gets around 30oz.

Thanks

Default Re: 7mo nursing behavior

It sounds to me like you have been doing a great job of protecting and now re-fine-tuning your milk supply and your nursing relationship. His frequent nursing is probably a combination of all the factors you mentioned, but the primary goal right now is to just let him get your supply back up to normal. Yes, very brief but frequent nursings are helpful in stimulating milk production.

In the hospital, your breasts got quite full because they weren't being emptied as often. Now, with your baby nursing every 3 hours, he is emptying them frequently, keeping the milk moving, so there is no time to get engorged. This is a good thing -- it doesn't mean you're not making enough milk.

I'm not sure it's necessary for you to pump right now if your son has free access to the breast. If you can, just nurse on cue, keep an eye on his diaper output, and don't worry about pumping or tracking ounces.

--Rebecca

Default Re: 7mo nursing behavior

Thanks Rebecca I was pumping after feeding this morning and didn't get much just enough for a sippy cup taste with breakfast. Whew I will stop and give myself a break and let him have at it as long as I am still home.

K