Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Doing baby-led but lo doesn't eat much

Default Doing baby-led but lo doesn't eat much

Hi,

I've chosen the baby-led approach and started my lo, who's now 7.5 months, on solids about 4 weeks ago.
    My problem is that he'll only eat banana, avocado, pear, oranges and sometimes yogurt (although in the first days he accepted sweet potato and oats). I've tried spoon feeding him but he only takes yogurt this way. Tried other veggies, rice, purees with no success Funnily enough yesterday he had some wholemeal bread with yogurt and carrot spread but today threw everything on the floor (and had the avocado instead).

Do you think I'm doing things in the right way? Could he become a fussy eater or, from your experiences, it is normal that they refuse food like this.
    I've read that a great variety of food should be given to our lo's from 6 to 12 months so that they coem to appreciate a variety of things.

Should I worry? Any suggestions?
    Thank you.

Default Re: Doing baby-led but lo doesn't eat much

You should not worry a bit. At this age your lo should still be getting all of his calories from bm, and first foods are really just for learning. At 7.5 months my dd was only receiving a few things and over time that increased and now she takes a wide variety of food. Little variety early on will not set him up for being a picky eater. Besides, at this age what he can eat is very limited anyway.

Thank you. Unfortunately he's formula-fed (my milk only lasted until 3.5 months and even so, I had to supplement - bad advice at hospital, misinformed, no help...).

Is it different with formula? I mean, can he still get the nutrients he needs from formula if his diet isn't varied?

Also, did you get a LOT of food thrown on the floor?
    Did you put a variety of foods on your lo's tray or just a couple at a time? I don't know if I should keep trying to offer many different things (from the ones he already had + one new) in a meal or should just assume he's not having any...

Thanks

Not only should you not be worried, you could actually scale it back a little at this age if your feeling any frustration at all. The best thing about baby led(IMO) was at that age there was still NO PRESSURE. At that age I was still only offering one thing once a day. (And cheerios) Variety at that point in the game for us meant not the same thing every day. That at 7.5 months you've already found 4things he LIKES is GREAT. At this age I think DJ liked watermelon, bread crust and Cheerios. We tired banana no luck. Advacado he didn't like until around 8months and now it's on the out list. So your doing fabulous. DON'T WORRY. Initial rejection doesn't mean total rejection. You can try again later. Respect the ques. Food over the side usually means "I'm bore or I'm done". Other things that, things that worked for me in this time frame were apple slices, (MY Favorite. No mess. Easy. Don't even have to go in the highchair, portable.) and peaches. Peaches he doesn't like this month, but plums are a big hit! Also artichokes if you can find them are great fun. So if you can get you lo to eat one thing once a day at this point you are doing great.
    We didn't move into "meals" with a variety of foods on his plate until between 8.5 and 9months. And that was completely based on HIS ques. He let me know he was ready to eat more food.
    Last edited by DJ's Mom; February 9th, 2007 at 10:28 AM.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by Daniela View Post
    Thank you. Unfortunately he's formula-fed (my milk only lasted until 3.5 months and even so, I had to supplement - bad advice at hospital, misinformed, no help...).

Is it different with formula? I mean, can he still get the nutrients he needs from formula if his diet isn't varied?

Also, did you get a LOT of food thrown on the floor?
    Did you put a variety of foods on your lo's tray or just a couple at a time? I don't know if I should keep trying to offer many different things (from the ones he already had + one new) in a meal or should just assume he's not having any...

Thanks
    Yes, even with formula they still won't eat much at this age and it's more for exploration and learning.

At this age most of the food will end up on the floor for sure! I would mostly spoon feed and put just a few soft bites on the try for exploration of texture and fine motor skills.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry a bit. Keep offering and keep trying, but there is absolutely no need to push it. Don't get caught up on "variety". That will come. Oftentimes at that age my kids would just have a fruit for lunch and a vegetable for dinner...really it wasn't much. There's no rush.

HTH!

You're doing fine- you're a month ahead of us. My son wouldn't even put stuff in his mouth until 8.5 months!

Thanks for all the responses, I feel much better now.
    I've read your posts before my lo's "dinner" and maybe because I was so relaxed I really had a feeling he enjoyed it. He had a bit of avocado and a little bit of bread.
    Thanks again

DJ's Mom, are all the foods you offer your LO fresh??? Do you ever offer canned or frozen?

Quote Originally Posted by staceyinsamoa View Post
    DJ's Mom, are all the foods you offer your LO fresh??? Do you ever offer canned or frozen?
    We introduced frozen lima beans, and spinach after the year point to make sure he always has a readily available "green" on his plate. (Even when we don't )
    I happen to really like canned spinach spinach So he's had that too because my husband refuses to have two pots of spinach going at the same time. We have recently introduced the frozen sweet potato fries as well. (Thanks Erin! freeresponse that was a GREAT suggestion! )

We also usually have a couple of tupperwares going. Of stuff we have to make more than he eats of. Like pasta shells, whole grain rice, and whole beans(pinto). SO I don't know if that counts as fresh??? I reheat all his food in the stove, but it is reheated after the 1st time. This is all to make sure we have plenty of choices for a 13month old who is really eating 3 meals a day plus some snacks.
    At the age of the OP, absolutely. Fresh and Organic. Except the O's of course. But how could I resist the O's

Way too lazy for formula