Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going straight from breast to sippy cup

Default Going straight from breast to sippy cup

Hi--any advice for how to best make this transition? My 5.5 month old daughter has been exclusively breastfed up until now. We gave her a few bottles successfully at 4 weeks or so just to try them out and she did great. Then we didn't give her any bottles until about a month later, and she refused to drink from them. After a couple weeks of trying, we gave up on the bottle concept and I said "we'll just wait until she can try a sippy cup."

So she is now at the age where I'd really like to try the sippy! Any advice from those who've done something similar?

Thanks!

Default Re: Going straight from breast to sippy cup

Hello, It looks like you are new as well. I would like some advise on the subject of transitioning to sippy cups too. My little man is 7 mos. old and we are going to try them soon. Also, are there any brands/types of cups that work best for breastfed babies?

Question Re: Going straight from breast to sippy cup

Hate that I can't help - but I would like the same advice! My DD is 5.5 also and refuses a bottle (acts like she is gagging to death..lol). Will keep an eye on this thread.

One tip is to try giving EBM in a sippy cup without the no-spill valve part. I found that when the valve thingy was in, my son couldn't possibly suck hard enough to get anything out. They're designed to be spill-proof for toddlers.

Without the valve, of course, milk can pour freely out of the holes in the spout. So you need to hold the cup and carefully tip it up to help your baby drink. Don't expect your baby to immediately use the cup on her own.

--Rebecca

try the nuby no spill soft spout sippy cup?

Hey everyone--just as an update, the girl is not ready for the sippy cup yet. She seems pretty startled when fluid comes into her mouth from the cup, since her hands really aren't ready to control it yet and it's pretty much me tipping the cup back and putting the fluid in her mouth.

So for now, I'm trying a bottle with a fast flow nipple. She doesn't suck on the nipple but will at least mouth it, so some milk will get into her mouth to stave off a major hunger emergency. She is no longer reacting badly to the nipple (she used to hate it) but is neutral about it, so that's progress. She is just very curious to have anything in her mouth right now

So--I'm still feeding 99% of the time from the breast, but can leave a bottle with a babysittin grandma to at least avert a total hunger meltdown if I need to be away from her a little bit.

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I would personally avoid any sort of sippy cup from which the baby has to sort of bite down to get the liquid out... like the Avent ones with the "early" nipple... I can tell you from personal experience that this was not a good way to transition back and forth from bf-ing!

I found that a sippy cup like a Tupperware one where the liquid just sort of came out was a little better, especially since my DD never took a bottle.

We started the sippy cup with solids... giving a little water in the sippy cup along with the solids. If she wanted it, she could try it.

Also, we used the sippy cups with straws at about 14 months. She really loved those!

Jacqui

You could try a straw cup. We started DD on the Gerber Soft Straw cup at about 5 months and she picked it up right away. It is spill proof so it doesn't allow here to suck up more than she can handle. She doesn't drink a lot from it, but she gets enough. DD also never was on a bottle and she didn't know how to tip the sippy to get the liquid out. The straw cup works great! When they are young, they still have the ability to suck from a straw. I believe that they get to a point where the lose the ability and then have to relearn it.

HTH