Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting ready...

Default Getting ready...

a friend of mine is due in 5 weeks...she would like to BF, I EP and had trouble with my son's latch. I also did not know that BF would be so difficult and unfortunatley I didn't find this resource until after he was adjusted to the bottle...anyway I want to give her some good info since I had soo much trouble. Anyone know if you can "prep" your nipples for BF or if that is a myth??

Default Re: Getting ready...

Its great you want to help support your friend...

I found this link Hope you can find some good info

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I would encourage her to find a LLL group and go to meetings now! It is fun and I wish I had gone before my son was born. The only thing I would do to prepare my nipples is go buy some lansinoh and pack it in the suit case for the hospital (if she's going to one of course!) Also, the more you read and watch videos on nursing the better. I was sooooo tired by the time we got home from the hospital I didn't know what to do. I recently watched the video about bf they gave me at the hospital. A lot of good info there--I'm sure I watched it in the hospital, but I didn't recognize any of it! Sleep deprivation! The more you do ahead of time the better!!! I would also find out if there is a laction consultant where she is going to deliver.

In addition to the PP suggestions (which are great!) you could give your friend a copy of LLL's "Womanly Art of Breastfeeding." I didn't follow the advice of a friend of mine and buy it before baby #1, and I sure wish I had. Might have helped me through some very rough times. . . .Your local LLL may have it for sale, or you can purchase it here in the store.

She could also make sure the hospital is not going to give the baby any bottles by putting that information in her birth plan, ensuring the doctor/midwife knows she wants to breastfeed, and even posting a note in the baby's bassinette if the baby has to sleep in it.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!