Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bottle and Breast Combo

Post Bottle and Breast Combo

I want to start giving my DS a bottle once in a while so that he is used to it when I need to be gone. (I will be away from him for 2-3 days in June) When my DH gives him a bottle, should I still pump at that same time? We gave him a bottle for one feeding during the night and I did pump so I would not get uncomfortable. Do I need to do this every time we give him a bottle?

Default Re: Bottle and Breast Combo

I'd like to clarify, will you be gone 2-3 days total in June or 2-3 days a week starting in June? Also, how old will your ds be in June?

Oh yes, he will be 6 months in June. I will be gone for just 2 or 3 days to be in a wedding. Another question, do you think that he will have any difficulty going back to the breast after having the bottle for the weekend? Thanks for the help!

Have you considered taking him with you and asking a caregiver (family, dad, whoever?) to come along to help for the events where you need it? Six months is still very early in the nursing relationship and the separation may be very uncomfortable for you while you are away and not nursing as far as engorgement and leaking. At that age, it also may be a very difficult transition for your baby for that period of time.

To protect your supply and the nursing relationship with your baby, if you can at all avoid it, you may consider not introducing the bottle as it can present problems that can compromise your milk suppy, willingness to latch, especially for just a 2-3 day period.

Although I was having problems with dd taking a bottle after previously being successful, I do have some advice for this situation. When our baby was only 8 weeks old, I had to be out of town for a meeting overnight. I wanted my husband to come with me but he was unable to at the last minute and had to stay at home with the baby. I pumped every 2-3 hours, even at night, to maintain my supply and dd did just fine, although she was up more frequently during the night. Hubby said she missed me, but they did okay. She is fairly independent though, and isn't a "comfort nurser" so maybe that's why it worked. And she has been getting bottles 1-2 times a day since 6 weeks. I think if you had to do it, you would probably be okay, but I would maybe start having another caretaker give a bottle just to get the baby used to it.

Thanks to you all for the great advice! I wish I could bring hubby and baby with, but we can't afford it and no one else can come with.

I am not quite sure if my DS is a comfort nurser or not. I don't think he is. It seems to eat only when he is hungry. So that is encouraging to know that he may be okay when I come back.

Thanks again!

My son had to have bottles for about 48 hours straight, of both pumped milk and formula, after I had surgery a few weeks ago. He has gone back to nursing just fine but my supply did suffer - but that's not your problem, I just was unable to pump as often as I'd normally nurse due to pain & positioning post-op - but I just wanted to let you know, he was only 3 1/2 weeks old at the time and he went back to nursing without much problem. He was sucking a bit weaker at first but that's cleared up now. BTW we used the Playtex nursers with silicone size 1 slow-flow nipples during that time. It seemed to make his mouth form the same way as nursing does.

I think you and your baby can manage the separation if you HAVE to. If you have the option of bringing baby with (with sitter in tow, of course), then that would probably be the best solution overall.

Let us know what you decide and how it works out! Believe it or not, your experiences are often helpful to others in your situation.