Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reglan

Default Reglan

My OB just prescribed Reglan bc we think i may have a milk supply issue. How long does it take for it to start working and has anyone noticed any adverse effects to this drug?

Default Re: Reglan

It took a couple weeks to notice a change for me. But I was using every milk increasing trick in the book (pumping, nursing, fenugreek, blessed thistle, oatmeal, you name it), so it's hard to say which was the most helpful. Reglan was not a "wonder drug" for me. But I think it really helps a lot of women.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

Be careful with Reglan. MOST people have no problem with it, but I did. It can cause neurological side effects and depression over time. (All of which are reversible by stopping the medicine.) I found out after a trip to the emergency room with stroke-like symptoms that these are common side effects. On the positive side, I was taking it for a stomach condition and had never even been pregnant at the time - I started lactating!

I am a nurse now and give Reglan on a regular basis to patients who have no side effects, but it can happen. I think it will be OK to take as long as you are aware of side effects and call your doctor at the first sign of trouble.
    Good luck!

http://www.drugs.com/reglan.html
    http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/reg1369.htm
    http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-6177...n&pagenumber=6

Thanks for all the info! How long were you taking it before you noticed the side effects? How long was it before you started lactating? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out if its worth taking (just started it yesterday).

Any one have any positive experiences with this drug? Just a little discouraged...

I had great results with Reglan. I noticed an increase after about 4-5 days of taking it. I didn't have any side effects. Hopefully it will work great for you. It doesn't work well if you take less than 30mg/day so I took 10mg every 8 hours. It is important to take it every 8 hours for the best effects. It works by increasing the level of prolacin (the hormone that makes milk). After about 8 hours the levels will start to decrease. You want the level of prolactin to remain constant to get the best effects. If you go longer than 8 hours, it takes extra time to build the prolactin level back up.

Did your milk supply go down after you stopped taking it?