Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gasping/Heaving in Sleep

Default Gasping/Heaving in Sleep

I'm trying to figure out if this is normal or if its reflux related. Around 45 minutes into my 9 week old's sleep he starts crying a bit. I can soothe him and he stays asleep. But then his breathing changes to what I can only describe as a gasping or heaving. You know when a child cries a LOT and they can't catch their breath...thats what its like....but hes not crying at all.
    Is this normal?
    Thanks
    Lyn

Default Re: Gasping/Heaving in Sleep

Is his nose stuffy? Our LO's nose was very stuffy and it caused him to gasp and snuffle a LOT in his sleep. We swear by saline mist, if that's the problem. Otherwise, sometimes your Ped. will prescribe Zantac if it is reflux...you may want to ask about it! Good luck with your LO!!

If you do nothing, will it stop on it's own? I mean is it like he cried out a bit and then the breathing jumps a few times? Then it'll stop? Does he seem to be in REM sleep at this time? I would think it may be all it is. My son did/ and still does that.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

my baby did that also for the 1st 3-4 months of his life, but it wasn't related to crying at all, he would be sleeping soundly then all of a sudden we'd hear this loud gasping noise. it freaked us out, but our ped explained to us it was due to his immature diaphram. she explained when we take a deep breath it is normal, but for a baby the diaphram is still developing so when they take a deep breath air gets in and creates that God aweful sound!!! hope this helps!

elliesmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Has your baby been diagnosed with reflux? Ellie's reflux actually interfered with her breathing. She made horrible gasping noises while she slept (and occassionally she'd wake herself up). I videotaped it and took it to my pediatrician. She sent us home with an apnea monitor. Up to that point, I tried to avoid medication for her reflux, but my pediatrician made it clear that we really needed to find something to help her. We started her on Prevacid then too. The Prevacid helped enough to regulate her breathing. I slept so much better after we had that apnea monitor because I knew if she stopped breathing, the alarm would go off! It's impossible to sleep while your baby is gasping for breath!

Babies also make lots of noises when they sleep; a lot of them are normal. Trust your instincts. If you feel something is wrong, video it and take it to your doctor. It won't hurt, even if it's nothing.

I wanted to add that yes reflux can be attributed to some nightly/sleep breathing issues. My son suffered from that as well and it was horrifying.. I was hysterical the fifrst time it happened and by the time I woke my DH up, because i was holding DS, he stopped and hubby never saw it. My docs blew it off and I had to search for answers on my own.... Basically We stopped laying him flat to sleep and it didn't happen any longer. He just started laying flat to sleep about 1 months ago...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Does your baby "thrash" while having these episodes?

I took my toot to an ENT doctor for a secend opinion regarding stuffy nose, and that was the first thing he asked me, he then said it was nasal congestion.

But who knows, I'm sure other things may cause thrashing too.

But I will tell you this, my girl has acid reflux too, and her symptoms were much different from thrashing due to difficulty breathing.

good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    I wanted to add that yes reflux can be attributed to some nightly/sleep breathing issues. My son suffered from that as well and it was horrifying.. I was hysterical the fifrst time it happened and by the time I woke my DH up, because i was holding DS, he stopped and hubby never saw it. My docs blew it off and I had to search for answers on my own.... Basically We stopped laying him flat to sleep and it didn't happen any longer. He just started laying flat to sleep about 1 months ago...
    This advice would help sinus congestion and acid reflux, so you can't go wrong following it!!!!

Good job number3