Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not Pumping w/Supplement

Default Not Pumping w/Supplement

Is it the end of the world if I don't pump when he gets a bottle (EBM)? I am slowing losing this battle of very low supply and have seen my LC and the Ped, both who are telling me I have to start supplementing to get him more calories. Of course his health is all that matters. I went the hell to get my supply with renting the hospital grade pump and nursing/pumping day and night. With me being back to work now, I just can't do it again. I do pump at work 3x/day and nurse as much as possible at home. My LC told me that I have to pump though even if I give him a bottle - even if I nurse and immediatly after give a bottle. Am I really giving up my supply that much? It would be 1 bottle at night during the work week, but probably 2-3 bottles on the weekend b/c he's only taking 2 oz from me (not including his morning feed when I'm much fuller).

Default Re: Not Pumping w/Supplement

Hi Gibby,

You sound very tired and frustrated. Try not to beat yourself up too much. You really are doing a great job.

What is your doctor's reason for being concerned about your milk supply? How old is your baby? What is his weight gain like? The best way to increase your milk supply is to nurse the baby often, and the best way to know that he is getting enough is to keep track of wet and poopy diapers. A healthy, exclusively breastfed baby should be having 6-8 wet cloth diapers per day (5-6 really wet disposables) and about 2-3 bowel movements.

If you are breastfeeding your baby often, and he still isn't getting enough, there is usually a reason for it. Improper latch, positioning, or suck are often to blame. Are your nipples sore?

Sorry so many questions. I just want to be able to help you as best I can.

Take Care,

Tiana

Yes, I'm VERY frustrated, but trying my best to stay calm as I know that stress makes it worse.
    He is only taking 2 oz from me where he used to take 4 oz. I had him weighed before and after nursing, so I know this. He's 4 -1/2 months and has dropped a few ounces. He was at the 50% in weight at 2 months, but dropped to 25% at his 4 month visit. I noticed a decrease in my pumping - can barely squeak out 2 oz/per where I used to get 3.5 - 4. I pump 3x/day at work and nurse 4x/day. While he looks great and is healthy, the Ped is concerned about how much he's taking and the fact that he's not getting enough calories. Based on what I know, he's 13 lbs, 9 oz and was taking 21 -1/2 oz/day. We have upped his bottles he gets during the day and started supplementing with EBM at night. I am just so beat and my body is exhauseted. The thought of me pumping to make up for any extra supplemental bottles exhausts me!

Have you seen an IBCLC? Does your baby take more milk from a bottle than from your breast?

Sorry, what is IBCLC? I'm assuming it's something to do with Lactation Consultant. I have seen one since day one - she works at the hospital where I delivered. I also talk to one at my OB office. He is taking more from the bottle now only b/c I am not producing much. The last two times I had him weighed after eatting, he only took 2 oz and takes 4-5 from a bottle.
    I'm going to have him weighed again this week b/c it's been a week and a half since I stopped the mini pill and several days of Mother's Tea. I was curious so I thought I'd try. Plus a week and a half of adding another nursing session at home at night.

IBCLC=Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant.

There are a lot of people out there using the title "lactation consultant" these days. Some have extensive experience and training, others went to a weekend seminar and the hospital they nurse at called it good enough. The IBCLC credential recognizes a high level of experience and training, and those who carry it have passed a rigorous exam. Not saying that non-IBCLC LC's can't be helpful, but as LLL leaders, we generally refer to IBCLCs because it is more likely that you will receive good quality help and service.

It sounds like you are taking some good steps to increase your milk supply. Birth control pills can often cause milk-supply problems. Hopefully eliminating them will do the trick for you. Adding a night nursing session is a great idea too. I really hope it works for you.

Let us know if there is anything more we can do to help.

Hang in there,

Tiana