Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Two Pumping Sessions or Three?

Default Two Pumping Sessions or Three?

Just curious as to how many mothers out there are doing 2 double pumps a day versus 3 double pumps?

I have an abundant supply so I started out with 3 double pumps which lead to oversupply (screaming, biting baby, green bm, etc.). When I backed off to single side pumping altnernating breast which mimics my son's nursing pattern, I run too close to getting a low supply and just cover the next day's bottles and the extra to buffer the waste from daycare.

I can't seem to find the right balance. Should I try two double pumps a day? I work 7-4, so I could pump around 9:00 and then again around 1:00. My son is 6 months old.
    Last edited by LunaticLibrarian; February 8th, 2007 at 01:15 PM.

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

Default Re: Two Pumping Sessions or Three?

Your story sounds very similar to mine ....

I usually do 2 sessions of double pumping, but if it seems like my supply is going crazy towards oversupply again I back off and do single pumping until it seems like I'm doing a better job of regulating my supply to match what LO needs. It's been a challenge when LO goes through a growth spurt and nurses alot and then goes back to a more "normal" nursing pattern.

I work more or less 8:30 to 3:30 so pump at 10:30ish and 1:30ish.

Oh - and our DS is also a July 2006 baby.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)