Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Away from bb

Default Away from bb

I am going to be away from my 6 month old baby for 2-3 days. How much should I pump to keep up my milk production? How can I store the milk that I pump and bring it home with me? (I will be travelling by plane)

Default Re: Away from bb

Try to keep pumping at least every 4 hours. If the bb is on a schedule, pump when you would normally feed. Alot of pumps have ice packs and coolers that you can just carry with you. Some motels have fridges with little frezeers that youcan put it in at the end of the day. Hope that helps.

Thanks! Do you think that after 2-3 days of bottles he will have any problems going back to bf?

Unhappy Re: Away from bb

I can completely relate!

I am travelling as well soon (I have a 5.5 mo ds). Here are my plans: I called the hotel to make sure they put a fridge in my room and have developed a pumping scheduled based on 4 hour intervals and the timing of my flights. I am also taking a collapsible soft cooler that I will fill with Ice before I leave for home. For storage I am using breast bags that I will place in a larger ziplock bag (one for each day of 4 that I will be gone). These will be frozed as soon as I get home.

I am more worried about how sad DS will be. We had planned to bring him, but DH is staying home because the last business trip we took him on was a disaster (he cried constantly all night and was miserable at the hotel). But he is VERY attached to me and I know my being gone will be very hard for him. He has never had a day without breastfeeding and he really loves nursing. I love my job, but the guilt is hard. The trip cannot be cancelled, and I am sure he will be ok, but it's hard!!

I'm in the same predicament, with a business trip coming up in a few weeks. I am an anxious wreck about it. Thanks for outlining what you plan to do while you're at the hotel, it gives me some hope. Good luck on your trip!!!