Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discouraged before I even get to start

Default Discouraged before I even get to start

I'm due with my first baby later this month. Today, I had to go for a check-up at the breast clinic (I have a cyst they are keeping an eye on), and so I asked the doctor if my severely dry skin and occasional problems with nipple eczema would make breastfeeding difficult for me. She told me that she had really dry skin, and the cracks and peels were terrible when she breastfed. Then she said that I could try, but I would probably have to give up because of this. I'm so discouraged now that I've been told I'm going to fail before I even try. I don't know what to do.

Default Re: Discouraged before I even get to start

Don't listen! Don't let one woman's bad experience discourage you. It is tough at first, but with persistence (and lots of lanolin ) you can succeed. Definitely don't get discouraged yet, there'll be plenty of time for that later . I don't have any advice specific to your concern, but I know that for every breastfeeding problem, there seems to be a solution and if you are willing to work on it you can succeed.

The nerve of that lady telling you that you can try but you'll probably end up giving up. Why do some people have to be so negative and spread their negativity to others? Every woman is different and each breastfeeding experience is different. Don't listen to the negativity. Just stay positive and believe in yourself. Like the PP said, with persistence and lots of lanolin you can succeed. Keep logging on to this forum for support. It has really been a great help for me through some tough times. Good Luck to you.

Don't give up! You can do it! Yes, it is pretty painful and hard to do in the beginning - but it gets better! Try using lanolin on your nipples... you might even want to start now.

Just push past the negativity... with a postive attitude you can do it!

LANSINOH LANSINOH LANSINOH!! I have pretty bad exzema on my nipples too, and I just use it after my bath's / showers, and after every feeding session. I never had a crack or bleed, or anything short of itchy nipples so that stuff really works, also works great for chapped lips, burns, extra dry skin on my toddler.

You know what else is moisterizing???

BREASTMILK.

Don't use any soap directly on your nipples and when done nursing, rub some milk into them and... if you can, don't get weird about it... let them air dry a little. I have always had dry skin and never had cracked nipples.

I have to echo the Lansinoh Lanolin advice. K-mart carries it in the baby section, next to the nursing pads. Stock up on it now. I used it after every feeding and shower. i have very sensitive skin (which my poor baby girl has inherited too!). Breast Milk works wonders, too.

Try to ignore other people's experiences, particularly the bad ones. BF is a unique experience with every baby and every mommy.

Good luck. You will do great

Do you have a LLL group in your area? Having some "real life" nursing moms to talk to has been a huge help to me. Even if one of them hasn't face the exact same problem, it helps so much to hear that others have worked through difficulty successfully. I think some moms who don't bf feel like if they "couldn't" do it, no one else can either to make themselves feel better. But, with the right knowledge and support, just about anyone can do it. (Oh yeah, and sometimes it takes a bit of stubbornness, too!)

Sounds like you need to find some nursing support. You CAN breastfeed, it IS difficult but the more breastfeeding advocates you have on your side, the better! Try a LLL meeting or a public health nurse who specializes in breastfeeding, maybe a doula? There are LOTS of resources to help you through the problems you MAY encounter, the unfortunate fact is there are even more resouces to get you to quit, so Go now, before you have your LO and ensure proper support for you and baby.

Good for you for choosing what's best.

I have eczema and had dry cracked nipples while I was pregnant. I used nipple cream and by the time my LO was born, my nipples were normal. I do get dry, sore nipples, but I use the Lanolin and breastmilk on my nipples and I have been EBF for 8 1/2 weeks... It is perfect, I love it and I wouldn't change it for the world. If you are determined than you will succeed. I did! So now you have a positive story.