Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swaddling

Default Swaddling

DS has nighttime colic so we've tried swaddling a couple of times when he has a bad episode. He looks so miserable, cries, and fights it. I hate the idea because he looks miserable. He somehow manages to free himself after several minutes so I just give up on it. DS also doesn't like sleeping in crib. Swadlling seems to help many babies sleep longer and/or adjust to crib. Maybe I'm not giving it a good try or maybe I'm not doing it right. DH and I can get it pretty snug. We usually swaddle when he is just asleep (for naps) and during colic crying fit. We bought a swaddle me fleece but he's too big for it so we use receiving blankets. Would love some advice or hear some moms' experience.

Default Re: Swaddling

How big are your receiving blankets? I found that the store-bought receiving blankets are too small to swaddle effectively. My mom sewed several from single-ply flannel that are about the size of a bath sheet. They were awesome, because I could really wrap my LO's tight, and they couldn't get out of it.

Lisa

I think they are big enough. However, he gets out of them by slithering his arms up and out where his neck is.

If you can, get a copy of the DVD "The Happiest Baby on the Block." (I'd recommend checking it out at the library; it's not one you'll need to watch over and over, really.) Dr. Karp has a great tutorial on swaddling. One of the tips he makes (that we were doing wrong) is to focus on getting the arms tightly swaddled down at the baby's side and don't worry much about the legs. We were doing exactly the opposite for our preemie. Once we corrected that, it went much more smoothly.

I agree with the previous poster that store-bought receiving blankets don't really work. I have some that were made by a friend that are simple cotton sheets about 45"x45" and they work great. (Living in Arizona, we don't want the little guy getting too hot, and the flannel ones were roasting the kid!)

Anecdotally, we stopped swaddling after a few weeks, thinking our son was "big" now and didn't need it anymore. He was regularly getting up every 1.5 to 2 hours to nurse. Once we started swaddling again, he'll go 3-4 hours a couple of times a night. Not a drastic improvement, but enough to get me some sleep and increase my sanity a bit!

Good luck!

I was just thinking about this. We swaddle, but only the arms. I notice my DS kicks a lot. He is 9 weeks old. Should I swaddle with his legs tucked up like when he was a newborn or legs straight?

For the OP, check out this link with instructions and illustrations!!
    http://www.biawa.org/baby/baby.htm

Lyn

We'd swaddle for naps and for nighttime. I'd nurse DD to sleep and then swaddle (we'd have the blanket all laid out in her crib ready to go so I'd just place her gently in the center and DH would swaddle away!).

For the nightime fussiness, does nursing help? I use to nurse during the entire witching hour (6pm to 9pm). Also-have you tried swaddling her and placing her in a baby swing during her fussy time? Maybe she is swaddled too much, maybe a little less tight?

Sometimes it is just all about experimentation. Don't worry you will find the solution. And the evening fussies begin to disappear at around 12-13 weeks. So you're almost there

Our son wouldn't let us swaddle his arms from the very beginning. It made him crazy, so we just didn't include them. It was what worked for us.

I'd check this bad boy out!!

http://www.miracleblanket.com/instructions.htm

Pellegirl is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I agree with Lauren17. We bought a Swaddle me blanket and our DD would break free quite easily. I bought the Miracle blanket and it worked wonders. I like that it has flaps to hold down the arms and it wraps around itself at least twice. Check it out. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll try out some of the suggestions and see how it goes.