Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: poor weight gain?

Default poor weight gain?

My baby is 4 mths old. We took her in for her 4mth visit and she's gained 1 lb since 2months old. She is exclussively BF, very alert, and has no signs of dehydration...

I know she's healthy, but still am a little concerned. I know she was gaining well weeks 2-6 b/c I was taking her in to the LC every week and she was gaining 8-11 oz a week (excellent they said). She had a slow start the first 2 weeks but then was doing great. After that she had her 2mth visit and I was a little surprised at how little she still was b/c she had only gained a few oz (less than 1 lb) from when she was 6 weeks old. Since that appt I've weighed her with clothes on a few times and it's always 11.5-12lbs, meaning she's really not gaining. (she was born at 6lbs 13oz -- she's gained 5lbs since birth)
    Why is that??

I've wonder if I make low-fat milk? I've wondered this before with the other kids b/c I don't have as much fat on the top of my refridg. milk as most other moms I've seen (mostly at the hospital where I work - i"ve seen lots of refrid'd mommy milk).

My first girl was thin too, but she didn't get thin until after about 6mths, once she started crawling. At this age she was actually a little cubby. Faith isn't crawling or even rolling all the way over yet, so no idea how she burns it beyond being awake so much.

At this point the ped said to just continue to feed her as I have been and we'll recheck her next month. She eats pretty frequently during the day - every 1-2 hours, more often as the evening progresses. We don't have any schedule and jsut feed her on demand. She takes 1 big nap about 5 days a week, otherwise just cat naps off and on. She sleeps long stretches most nights- usually 6hrs and then 3-4 more (but occasionally sleeps up to 10 hours). We've done no supplimenting or solids at this point. We just started giving her mommy milk in a bottle every evening b/c I'm returning to work (1-2 evenings a week) later this month.

thanks.

Default Re: poor weight gain?

Could you try breast compressions? That might help her take in more milk per feeding.

Also, I highly suggest seeing an IBCLC and/or LLL Leader just to rule out any potential problems.

Unless your own diet is severly poor (ie anorexia), your milk will have plenty of fat for your baby.

Here is a link from kellymom that explains how you can personally affect the fat content of your breastmilk: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...e-milkfat.html

How many times in 24 hours does your baby bf?

It could be poor weight gain, but it could be just irratic weight gain. 8-11 ounces a week is way above average.
    Where is she at on the percentile chart?
    How is expressing going?
    Are you giving her both breasts when you feed her? One breast until she really slows down, then doing breast compressions (like massage or like hand expressing) to keep her interested, then putting her on the 2nd side only after she's finished the first? Then on the 2nd side, keeping her interested in that side as long as possible using the breast compression?
    This would help her gain and help increase your milk supply, but that's *ONLY* *IF* your supply or her gain isn't adequate. 5 lb in 4 months isn't bad. At 4-6 months, I think they slow down to 4-6 ounces a week again, on average and a smaller, but healthy baby, maybe less.
    How many poos a day? And how many pees? Colour of pee?
    Have you read the Nursing Mother Working Mother by Gale Pryor? Really fantastic for B/F Working Mothers.

You can't go wrong by contacting your local LLL Leader or the HelpLine.
    Best Wishes!
    Beth B.
    Mom of 2

I have the same problem with my DD.
    Please let me know how are you dealing with this problem.
    Thanks

I have the same problem too with my DS. Can you let me know how you are dealing with the problem too.

Thanks

Did your dd just start sleeping through the night? When my son started sleeping through the night, he also lost weight.