Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it OALD or something else?

Default Is it OALD or something else?

I'm experiencing some nursing problems with my son who will be a month old in a couple days...
    I suspected that I might have OALD because he often becomes fussy during feeding- choking, sputtering and letting go and then crying out. What has me questioning this is that this has only been happening for 5-6 days and it isn't every feeding. There seems to be no pattern, he does it with both sides, and may do it several feedings in a row and then be fine for several feedings. Sometimes he quiets down and nurses contently after 10 minutes or so, and sometimes he remains so fussy that I lose my patience and stop the feeding after about 15 minutes.
    Any advice on what the problem may be and how to make all feedings go well, like they were for the first three weeks?

Default Re: Is it OALD or something else?

I think a borderline case of OALD could produce the occasional disrupted feeding as you describe.

One approach that some OALD moms find useful is to nurse lying back in a recliner or somewhat propped up on pillows in bed. With the baby's head on top of the breast, gravity helps slow the milk flow.

Another idea to consider is that OALD is often associated with oversupply. Whether or not you are seeing symptoms of oversupply, you could try nursing with only one breast per feeding for a few days and see if that helps with the choking/sputtering etc. If this doesn't improve things, you could go to block feeding, in which you nurse with only breast for a "block" of time (start with 3 hours). Again, give your body a few days to get the signal to reduce your supply a bit.

It may not be necessary to do any of the above. Many moms find that babies who struggle with their OALD outgrow the problem in time. Use your best judgment and let us know how you're doing.

--Rebecca

Default Re: Is it OALD or something else?

Thanks, Rebecca. Leaning back while feeding him seems to work, or at least it has the two times he got fussy and I tried it! One time I didn't and we both got covered in milk during the feeding. I think its not only a matter of a fast let down but also of a really fast flow, especially if I'm full. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is the solution to our problem! And the bonus is that at night I can lean my head back on a pillow and close my eyes