Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Why isn't he pooping?

Default Why isn't he pooping?

My ds was born naturally at home early Wed. morning. He was perfectly healthy, and latched on like a champion right away and began nursing. He also pooped right after birth. His latch is great, and he has a vigorous suck. The first day, we spent together in bed, nursing and sleeping (well, he slept at least, I was too keyed up!). He had 4 bowel movements that first day. Since then, he hasn't had a single one.

We had the family doc check him out Friday, and his weight loss was in the expected range for a 2-day old. Both the doc and our mw were not concerned about the cessation in bowel movements; they said he should start pooping again in the next day or so after my milk came in.

My milk came in Friday afternoon (day 2.5), and ds had been nursing regularly, every 2-3 hours or so. It is now Sunday afternoon, and still no poop. His latch looks great, and he has a vigorous suck. I can hear him swallowing (often gulping!), and can feel my breasts emptying after a feeding. After a shorter feeding, I will often put him back on the same breast again to make sure he gets hindmilk. He has had plenty of wet diapers.

He periodically gets very gasy and uncomfortable, where he screams for a while as we try to burp/massage out the gas. However, most of the time he seems very satisfied and content after a feeding, and drifts off to sleep peacefully.

He also seems to be getting sleepier. Last night he slept a 5-hour stretch! after which I woke up, realized what had happened, and immediately woke him up to nurse. He emptied one breast and immediately and contently fell back to sleep.

So, at what point do I start to worry about the no pooping? Is this normal newborn sleepiness, or a sign he's not getting enough hindmilk or something? (I've never had a problem with supply before... I even maintained some supply for my toddler during this entire pg.) I'm also still nursing my 2-year-old... which seems like it should only help encourage my milk to come in more.

Help!

Default Re: Why isn't he pooping?

Hi Melissa,
    Congratulations on your new baby and your homebirth!

You mentioned that your baby did have 4 bowel movements on his first day of life -- were those bowel movements all meconium or did they turn from meconium to yellow? The concern with a brand new baby not pooping is that he isn't clearing the meconium from his body and that baby may not be getting enough hindmilk (thus calories), as you mentioned. Is baby looking jaundiced at all?

You mentioned that baby hasn't seen the doctor since Friday -- is there any way that you could get baby's weight checked today? You also said that your baby has been urinating frequently. Can you please tell us how many wet diapers per day he is having and whether the urine is pale yellow or darker in color?

You may also want to revisit the basics of latching & positioning. Try doing some breast compressions while baby is latched on to get more milk into him and to encourage him to take long sucks. I'm assuming that baby isn't getting any artificial nipples, right? If so, please remove them and allow baby to meet all of his sucking needs at the breast. Also, you may want to try block feeding to see if it helps.

I don't want to alarm you -- infrequent stooling in a newborn who is otherwise thriving isn't a concern. However, infrequent stooling can be a red flag, especially if baby is appearing to be sleepier and sleepier. If baby's latch is inadequate, it could mean that he's not getting enough calories (although still being adequately hydrated by the amount of foremilk he is receiving), thus the reason for the absence of stools. The ineffective sucking may diminish the your milk supply.

I think it's important to take this very seriously and having your baby looked at by the doctor again, as soon as possible.

Please let us know how things are going!
    Last edited by LLLCarol; March 19th, 2006 at 01:19 PM.

Congrats on your new arrival!

He is having plenty of wets, but no poopies? Could you put a call back in to your doctor? It might be nothing, but it might be *something*. Better safe than sorry.

If your baby is not pooping, he might not be excreting excess bilirubin. Therefore, it is a possiblity that he could be becoming jaundiced. Jaundiced babies are usually sleepy. You might consider checking with your mw or doctor.

Is your 2.5 yo nursing now? Does your newborn nurse first?

Here's some info on poop (none of the below are LLL resources):
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp
    http://www.lactnews.com/the_diaper_images.html (diaper diary images)
    http://www.lactnews.com/the_diary.html (diaper diary log)

How to tell baby is getting enough:
    www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enough-milk.html (not LLL resource)

Please do let us know how you're doing! Also, you might consider putting in a call to your local Leader for more support.

The poops were all meconium. His color has been great, and certainly wasn't an issue when we saw the doc on Friday. I haven't noticed a change, but I'll look again when he wakes up next.

I haven't been counting the diapers, but there have been several, and they're heavily wet. I wouldn't say excessive, though. I think it's right in the normal range. I guess the urine was pale, although I couldn't say for sure. Dh has been changing most of the diapers.

I'll call my mw tonight to see what she thinks, and call the doc in the morning about getting a weight check (I have no idea who is on call today, and I don't trust all the docs to have good bf advice). I also have access to LLL leaders and there's a LC business in town, so I can also get ds's latch checked (mw and doc both said his latch looked fine).

I think his latch is fine... he may just not be eating enough at one feeding because of getting sleepy. Meanwhile, I will try breast compressions, and make sure to keep him awake until he's emptied one and also gotten some milk from the other side, and make sure to wake him up every 2 hours to nurse.

My 2-year-old is nursing occasionally...mainly at nap and bedtime, but has also tandem nursed at the same time as the baby a few times. This is usually brief, and more comfort nursing on his end then full-fledged feeding. I am still trying to work this all out between the two of them. I will make doubly sure he is getting the "afters" now, though.

Thanks for the help!

He had a poop explosion this morning! He must've been pooping for 5 minutes straight! Started with a little mec, but was definitely seedy after that. So all is well. Thank you very much for your help!

Whew! That's great news. I figured that when he did go, it would be enormous, lol.