Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tricks to opening wide?

Default Tricks to opening wide?

My LO appears to have a good latch, but not always are his lips flanged, so I usually do it or him.

Besides tickling his lips, his doc taught me to tickle his cheek with my nipple which causes him to turn his face toward the nipple and makes him open. It works most times but not all.

Any other tricks?
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Tricks to opening wide?

show him.. I know it sounds like it would never work... catch him awake and show him and he will copy your mouth. Little babies are so cool!
    Tell him open wide and he'll get it.

When my lo starts opening I very gentley place a finger on his chin to encourage a wider mouth and the RAM the boob in! lol! Sounds mean but i don't hurt him and gets the picture now!
    Last edited by carpentergirl; February 7th, 2007 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    When my lo starts opening I very gentley place a finger on his chin to encourage a wider mouth and the RAM the bob in! lol! Sounds mean but i don't hurt him and gets the picture now!
    Cool things...makes sense
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

When my lo starts opening I very gentley place a finger on his chin to encourage a wider mouth and the RAM the boob in! lol! Sounds mean but i don't hurt him and gets the picture now!
    Exactly what I used to do and was going to suggest. Tickle the chin and stick it in quick as lightening.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia'sMom View Post
    Exactly what I used to do and was going to suggest. Tickle the chin and stick it in quick as lightening.
    Yep. And if the lower lip is flipped in, gently pull the chin down and it often flips out, if that makes sense.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

It's okay if you need to tug gently at his lips AFTER he latches to get them to flange. It'll come more naturally to him as he gets a bit older and his mouth grows larger. For now, get the latch correct any way you can--he'll soon figure out that he can milk most efficiently by latching that way

Hugs--glad to hear things are going so well for you and your new little guy!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

LOL!! Thats exactly what I did as soon as she'd open BAM Boob in! Worked like a charm!
    Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.

Smile Re: Tricks to opening wide?

Same Here!! My DH was a bit spooked the first time he saw it - he said it looked like an airbag going off in a car accident.. It worked! I also did what the first poster did with opening my mouth. It too worked once she was old/awake enough to pay attention for more then a few seconds.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I just wanted to add that if you pull on the baby's chin with the index finger, it's important to pull down as the baby is opening because the baby's jaw muscles will be relaxed at that time. Some mom's appreciate a third hand from a helper assisting them with this.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    show him.. I know it sounds like it would never work... catch him awake and show him and he will copy your mouth. Little babies are so cool!
    Tell him open wide and he'll get it.
    It is possible to teach your baby cues to encourage him to open wide. By saying the word "open" as you tickle or brush his lips and then opening your own mouth wide, he will learn to associate the word "open" and your open mouth with the desired behavior. Rewarding him with the breast will reinforce this.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi