Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: apricots?

Default apricots?

I read that apricots aren't suggested till 12 months. What could be a problem with them?
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

Default Re: apricots?

I think they are fairly acidic. Like citrus fruit. Also not recommended until a year....

Way too lazy for formula

maybe because dried they are hard to chew?

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=3

heres something from that link:
    Safety

Dried Apricots and Sulfites
    Commercially grown dried apricots may be treated with sulfur dioxide gas during processing. They may also be treated with sulfites to extend their shelf life.

Sulfur-containing compounds are often added to dried foods like apricots as preservatives to help prevent oxidation and bleaching of colors. The sulfites used to help preserve dried apricots cause adverse reactions in an estimated one out of every 100 people, who turn out to be sulfite sensitive.

Sulfite reactions can be particularly acute in people who suffer from asthma. The Federal Food and Drug Administration estimates that 5 percent of asthmatics may suffer a reaction when exposed to sulfites. Instead of the bright orange color of sulfite-treated dried apricots, unsulfured dried apricots have brown color, but are a much healthier choice for sulfite-sensitive individuals.

Foods that are classified as "organic" do not contain sulfites since federal regulations prohibit the use of these preservatives in organically grown or produced foods. Therefore, concern about sulfite exposure is yet another reason to purchase organic foods.

ok! she had it in stage 2 gerber. do u think it would be as bad in that form
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

did she have a reaction?? i noticed gerber also has strawberries in some of there foods too.....imo....i dont trust them....so, i wouldnt assume that just because its gerber its good....they care about profits, not babies, again thats just in my opinion!! look at there ingredients for stuff....baby food should be just what it is without a bunch of junk added in...but if i were you i wouldnt worry about it, i would just not give her anymore if she had a reaction...if she was ok then id say its ok....
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~