Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: food for 9 month-old

Default food for 9 month-old

I'm asking this question for my SIL. She has a 9 month-old DD who has been eating cereal, fruits, veggies and breastmilk. But it seems like that is not enough. She is wondering what else to feed her LO. When can she introduce meats? And how do you prepare meat?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Maya's Mom_06; February 7th, 2007 at 01:09 PM.

Default Re: food for 9 month-old

We introduced chicken shreds at 9months. Ground turkey @10months. But reassure her that it IS enough. Baby can be sustained FINE on BM alone up to the year point. Any thing else at this point is fringe. For fun, and exploration. We only introduced those things because we're doing baby-led and want him to eat what we eat whenever possible. We held off on beef until almost a year and pork until right after a year. (The pork due to salt content.)HTH

Way too lazy for formula

Do you just boil the chicken and shred it? Can you puree the chicken to feed it with a spoon?

Speaking of salt: I posted this thread because our MIL who takes care of our LOs during the day, cooked some fideo for my niece put it in the blender and fed it to her. I was concerned because fideo is made with a spagetti-type of pasta, tomato sauce and oil. Not exactly the healthiest of foods. She also feeds her regular salted buttercrisp crackers. That is why I want to provide her with some healthier options. Aren't there a type of cracker made specifically for children? And when can you give them?
    Last edited by Maya's Mom_06; February 7th, 2007 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maya's Mom_06 View Post
    I'm asking this question for my SIL. She has a 9 month-old DD who has been eating cereal, fruits, veggies and breastmilk. But it seems like that is not enough. She is wondering what else to feed her LO. When can she introduce meats? And how do you prepare meat?

Thanks.
    DJ's mom is right on about food being just for exploration and learning and also that BM is certainly all that's needed at this age. That being said, we introduced some chicken and also beef at this age (we used a baby food grinder) but not much. Still, it wasn't until she closer to 12 months that she really liked it. We don't do pork at all... pork contains dangerous nitrites among many other toxins. HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by Maya's Mom_06 View Post
    Do you just boil the chicken and shred it? Can you puree the chicken to feed it with a spoon?

Speaking of salt: I posted this thread because our MIL who takes care of our LOs during the day, cooked some fideo for my niece put it in the blender and fed it to her. I was concerned because fideo is made with a spagetti-type of pasta, tomato sauce and oil. Not exactly the healthiest of foods. She also feeds her regular salted buttercrisp crackers. That is why I want to provide her with some healthier options. Aren't there a type of cracker made specifically for children? And when can you give them?
    I'll bump up the thread that has the salt links in it. It also happens to be about meat. Annie posted the links to the info. So you can read it and speak to it.

Way too lazy for formula

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=14837

check out this thread.....lots of ideas
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~