Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What foods to start?

Default Re: What foods to start?

The only thing I can figure is that rice cereal is one way to let your baby learn how to eat something with a different texture than milk. If it basically has no flavor, and you mix it with breast milk, wouldn't it taste like breast milk? I know my little sweet pea likes the taste of breast milk!!!! BTW, I still haven't decided what I will start with, but I'm not opposed to the rice cereal. I don't think that my kiddo will be actually depending on any solid food as a source of nutrition for a while. Also, with all this hullabaloo about allergies, I've never heard of anyone allergic to RICE! (all my personal opinion)

If you do use rice cereal, try to buy organic. The Gerber stuff especially has a lot of junk you don't need. Like soy- a very common allergen for little babies.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

I like what dr sears says about rice.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp

Begin with foods that are not likely to cause allergies and that are most like the milk baby is used to. If your baby is used to the sweet taste of human milk, start with mashed bananas. If baby is used to the more bland flavor of formula, try rice cereal mixed with formula (or with your milk if your breastfed baby prefers rice cereal to bananas). Rice is the most intestinal-friendly grain because it is gluten-free, low in protein, and high in carbohydrates. It has a nutritional profile more like a fruit than a grain. Mix the cereal to a soupy consistency and lessen the amount on milk or formula you add as baby gets better at eating.

I know some kids that couldn't have rice...
    their mom had to delay solids and just feed breastmilk untill they were much older. Even the rice gave them the allergy but and made them just missarable.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    I know some kids that couldn't have rice...
    their mom had to delay solids and just feed breastmilk untill they were much older. Even the rice gave them the allergy but and made them just missarable.
    Couldn't they have just started with something else? Or the baby was allergic to everything???

Way too lazy for formula

oh they were sensitve to everything.... mostly cow's milk, soy, all the big ones. corn syrup
    tree nuts peanuts, eggs.. Now that they are bigger the only thing some of the younger ones cann't have is soy and corn syrup.. They do allergy shots with a doctor that is resurching some sort of meds... and they are much beter!
    IT was a good thing that thier mom nursed them or they would have been realy sick!
    She delayed solids... and they didn't eat anything but fruits and veggies meats untill they were 2-3

only the oldest has trouble with his breathing. and asthma..

Wow! That's rough. But Yay Breastmilk!

Way too lazy for formula